Thursday, September 3, 2009

Cantaloupe Kix with Melon Milk


In my last post, I mentioned that my grocery store has been selling local produce, including corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, peppers, peaches, melon and more. That's where I picked up the sweetest, juiciest cantaloupe for my breakfast this morning.

Usually, I would cut it in half, eating the fruit right out of its natural bowl, or turn it into one of my favorite green smoothies, adding spinach and/or romaine, vanilla bean and the actual seeds from the melon. Since Hayden was behaving (Matthew just loves to call her "Miss Hayden Misbehaving"), I decided to combine the two methods to make this fresh cereal substitute.

Much simpler and lighter than when I made my raw version of Trix, I used a melon baller, which reminded me of Kix. And, my cereal bowl just wouldn't be complete without milk, so I whipped some up in my Blendtec using the seeds/guts of the melon, vanilla bean, sea salt and H2O. No need to add any sweetener, because this melon was perfection.

Speaking of perfection, I just adore this dress HiHoRosie sent Hayden (thanks again for everything). We played dress up yesterday and had a photo shoot. I just had to share.