Friday, December 18, 2009

Fruity window panes

When I was little, my sisters and I used to bake a lot with my mom. She was always willing to test out kid-friendly recipes with us, no matter how messy they would be.

For instance, I remember baking stained glass cookies, a recipe my sister and I found in one of our Sesame Street books (the adorable characters celebrated 40 years of learning and fun last month). It was a basic sugar cookie dough framework, filled with candy "glass."

The original recipe ended up all over the place, as we had to shatter lollipops and other hard candies to melt inside our cookie designs. It was all in good fun.

Wanting to recreate this experience raw, I formed present-shaped windows out of extra cookie dough from these candy cane cookies. Although my original plan was to fill them with a fruit puree to solidify during the "unbaking" process (in my dehydrator, of course), I opted instead to keep it tidy, using translucent slices of already dried fruit to make the stain glass effect.

The cookie packages were then dressed up with tiny pumpkin seed and dried cranberry bows. That memory is a wrap :-)



*****

friday, december 18, 2009 continued ...
........................................................................................................


Checking out the view

Hayden and I have been playing around with the new camera (no surprise that it is pink). Since there aren't many pictures of the two of us together, we experimented in front of a mirror. The results were blurry, but we had fun.

Little lady was just as interested in checking out the view finder as I was. She kept batting at the camera, wondering when it would be her turn. Next time, maybe we'll pose for our reflections instead.

At least we captured how big and strong she is getting. Just look at those sturdy legs and lifted head.