Sunday, February 14, 2010

"Sunshine Day"


Anybody read that title and get this song stuck in their head? I sure did. Here it goes, so sing along:

"I think I'll go for a walk outside now,
the summer sun's calling my name,
I hear ya now,
I just can't stay inside all day,
I gotta get out, get me some of those rays."

"Everybody's smiling,
Sunshine day,
Everybody's laughing,
Sunshine day,
Everybody sings,
So happy today,
It's a sunshine day!"

The sun is shining, but summer is still far away. Thanks to Joanna sharing her Sunshine Award with me, I can keep those warm and fuzzy thoughts a flowing all winter long (Speaking of warm and fuzzy, I saw this positive reinforcement idea the other day and thought I might try it with my son. It is amazing what you can accomplish with something so small). It's the inspiration I need this time of year.

We all need a little sunshine, so I'll be spreading the love to you, too. In the words of the recipients before me, "This award is easy peasy. All you need to do is give it to 12 other bloggers who bring you sunshine! And link back to the person who gave it to you."

I've already linked back to Joanna; now I need to select 12 of you. But, there are so many sunny blogs out there that I can't begin to narrow them down. Instead, I've opted to take a tip from Averie and bestow the honor on anyone with a blog who is enjoying mine right now. If you have the time, spread a little sunshine in your next post, linking back here to keep the chain shining bright.

In the meantime, I'm going to have some of this yumminess:

Sunshine in a Bowl
1 pink grapefruit
a knife
a bowl
and a spoon

Slice your grapefruit in half to expose the "sunshiny rays" inside. Place it in a bowl and scoop the segments out with a spoon. Enjoy!

This was just a reminder of how simple and tasty raw can be. Don't stress about it. Have fun today :-)

*****

By the way, since it is Valentine's Day, you might want to get a little more playful with your ingredients (even if it is just tossed in your blender; no need to do a lot of prep). You could make the Pink Lady smoothie I mentioned in my last post, pump up the protein with Kristen's Cherry Chocolate Bomb Shake or whip up an extra special creation like the Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Valentine's Day Shake from the latest Duck mail (sign up here for oneluckyduck.com specials, announcements and recipes, if you haven't already; otherwise, you have to wait for them to appear later on the site).

It has a combination of strawberries, raspberries, banana, coconut water, cashew milk, yacon, lucuma, maca, stevia, vanilla and sea salt. Half of the blended smoothie is served on the bottom of your glass, while the rest takes another spin with cacao powder before being poured on top. Garnish with a chocolate-covered strawberry and you're good to go. It is sure to put you in the mood :-)