Thursday, July 21, 2011

A marriage of flavors & chaotic cupcake makers

Ever wonder what it's like in my raw kitchen? If you've watched my videos, you probably have a good idea.

But, if you check out today's video, you'll really get to experience the true chaos in my house. It's crazy, I tell ya.

Hayden is back as my lovely assistant, with a snack prepared in advance this time (I gave her some chopped up nuts and raisins to keep her hands out of the ingredients; she likes to sample them all, so I planned ahead). She and I had hoped to marry together some contrasting flavors into a yummy cupcake (I'll get to that in a minute).



My 8-year-old son, Jacob, stayed behind the scenes, as the videographer (he hopes to be a director some day). Hold onto your seats; you're in for a bumpy ride (I think he's seen too many Transformers movies, although he did stop to focus on his leading lady, Hayden).

Anyway, I didn't win the hot raw chef contest (congrats to those who did, and thanks to all who voted), but I still have something wonderful to celebrate: it's mine and my hubby's 10-year wedding anniversary today, so of course, raw cupcakes were on the agenda (we had cupcakes at our wedding).

As a fan of all things cupcake-related, I tend to watch cupcake shows for both inspiration and to drool over the yummy creations. I like to "rawify" the baked cupcakes (remember this one from "Cupcake Wars"?), so it's no surprise to find me whipping up a raw version of the "beefcake" bacon-topped maple cupcake featured on a recent episode of "Cupcake Girls."

Never fear raw vegans, as I'd never actually put real bacon on a scrumptious raw vegan cupcake, but I was willing to try the faux variety (I made "carmelized fakin' bits" out of chopped dates marinated in apple cider vinegar, Bragg's liquid aminos, pure maple syrup, cayenne pepper and paprika for that smoky flavor) on for fun.

In honor of my "beefcake" hubby (hey, he's cute, and he can call me cupcake, if he wants), I put a more manly spin on my sweet girlie treats. Time to take it for a test drive. I'll tell you more about it next time.

BTW, in all the chaos, I managed to forget to add a drizzle of pure maple syrup to the cupcake "batter." Oops! Oh well, you probably didn't even notice, while you were busy watching Hayden eat her snack. Too funny :-)