Saturday, May 31, 2014

Tails doll

My son is growing up so fast. I can't believe he'll be in middle school next year. I'm lucky that he still considers me to be a cool mom on occasion (gotta cherish those moments, as they are few and far between), like when I made him this Tails doll.

Jacob is a huge fan of video games, especially the classics. One of his faves is Sonic the Hedgehog, along with the other Sonic games that followed, which is why he had me make him a Tails doll (not to be confused with the original Tails character; confusing, I know).

After drawing multiple sketches of Tails doll, showing me the character on screen and dropping many more hints, he finally convinced me to construct one out of old t-shirt scraps, cotton balls and pipe cleaners (that's how he ended up being poseable). Although our finished Tails doll doesn't look exactly like the one from the game/comic (I think ours looks more like the Fantastic Mr. Fox, but with two tails), Jacob says it is perfect, which is the best compliment ever.

To my surprise, I was able to make the whole Tails doll, using only material from the sleeves of the old shirts. I guess that means I can sew Hayden some more dresses.

Speaking of Hayden, I thought this picture of her and Jacob walking at yesterday's mini Relay for Life was so sweet. I hope they stay close forever.

But back to the t-shirt Tails doll, what do you make with old t-shirts?