Saturday, November 22, 2008

Feeling hot, hot, hot


Hot as in spicy, that is. After having so much fun with my mock meatloaf and faux mash potato cupcake, I decided to add a little spice to the recipe to create this festive version.

My fiesta cupcake uses the same "meaty" base with the addition of some taco seasonings, like cumin, coriander and chili powder (as you can see in this naked cupcake pic to your right. Quick, cover the eyes of your little ones).

Then, I swapped out the tater top icing and green pea polka dots for a creamy guacamole, shredded carrot flakes and jalapeno pepper sprinkles. I kept the cherry tomato on top, because it was just too cute to pass up.

To really take this savory cupcake to the next level, you could also fill the inside with some cashew-based sour cream or mock refried beans (like how the cream is hidden inside my rawtess cupcakes). Then, add some salsa, chopped olives and/or your other favorite taco toppings to make this decked out meal your own. It's like a party on a plate, or in this case, in a cup :-)