Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cookie monsters


Hayden's 1rst birthday is on Saturday, so I guess it is alright to allow her to consume nuts. To be honest, she actually had a head start completely by accident when she got a hold of Jacob's pb&j a couple months back. At first, I had that moment of panic (she better not be allergic, I thought), but once I knew she was okay, my more laid-back mommy-of-two attitude (been there, done that) decided to let her try some other related food items, like almonds, cashews and pistachios.

Her first experiences with these items were either in nut butter form or blended into a beverage, pudding, etc. Now that she has teeth (and she knows how to use them), we're moving on to raw cookies. Yum!

Speaking of cookies, did you know Natural Zing is carrying some of Cafe Gratitude's pre-made creations, like I Am Delighted Chocolate Fudge Cookies and Lemon Coconut Cookies. Lucky me, I made sure to get some with my last order. Although they'd be perfect for sampling as an after-school snack (Jacob starts back next week), I naturally couldn't wait that long, so I took a few with us to the beach/boardwalk.

I must say, the lemon ones were quite refreshing and and the chocolate ones were so cute and fudgy (love the piped flower shape and candied walnut center). But, what did the kids think?

Jacob wasn't really in the mood for a photo shoot (as I've mentioned in the past, he's beginning to outgrow it; he's tired of these paparazzi-like moments), although he was kind enough to let me snap a few pics while he shared some lemon cookies with his little sis.



Hayden, on the other hand, loves "cheesing" it for the camera (she gets it from her mama), so I was able to get these extra pics to share with you. Here is what she had to say about it:

Look mom, I've got my very own cookie.

How does it taste?

Mmmm ... I really can sink my teeth in these things.

Nice texture ... it holds up in my hands ...

Okay, just a little more ...

I think I just ate the whole thing. Yum!

Nice summary, Hayden. I should've put you in your Cookie Monster shirt for this one (she actually has a shirt with the monster himself on it that says, "me did it all for the cookies"), but instead, you still look adorable in your Toucan Sam tee.

Although I don't plan on giving her that particular cereal, I have fun dressing her in these "novel-tees." Besides, I could eventually serve her a raw version like this one. I might like some, too :-)