Sunday, October 21, 2012

More my style

In my last post, I showed you a DIY statement necklace. Although it was cute with my outfit that day, today's DIY is actually more my style.

I must admit that I paid way too much for the statement necklace I was wearing in last month's Eco Emi video, but I just couldn't resist owning one of the most recognizable J.Crew pieces, the Bubble Necklace (Hayden and the sales woman also talked me into it, without ever mentioning the ridiculous price. Note to self: Don't ever buy anything without asking what it costs first). Besides, the blue baubles really bring out my eyes ;-)

Later, I realized there were a ton of adorable and more affordable versions of the necklace on Etsy, which is something to keep in mind, if I ever want another color. It also made me think about how easy it could be to make my own.
 
In the meantime, I thought I'd make up the price difference by DIYing another popular J.Crew creation, the OGJM Hyacinth Necklace. It originally was listed on the website for $150, but has since sold out. When I first saw it, I thought about how easy it would be to replicate this crafty design, and when I saw a woman wearing it in the audience during last week's presidential debate, I knew I needed to give it a try.
 
Without much planning, I pulled out some old red scrap material I had purchased years ago to make a Red Riding Hood cape for a Theater Costuming class project (there were about 5 or 6 of us in my college course, where we also made all the costumes for the school production of "Oklahoma" that year), as well as a simple chain that may have cost me about $5.
 
I'll apologize in advance for not providing step-by-step instructions, but you'll get the idea. Basically, I cut the material into long strips and tied the ends together to make an even longer strip (you could also cut up an old t-shirt to make this). Then, I finger-crocheted (my grandma taught me how to crochet when I was little, and when I didn't have access to a crochet hook, I'd just used my fingers) the strip into a crescent shape, starting with a row of about 10 links and reducing the number of links as I added about 3 more rows.
 
When I finished the crocheted fabric crescent, I attached the chain necklace by threading it through each of the ends, resulting in a double strand necklace that could easily be removed and used again for another project.

As you can see, I am especially happy with how the necklace turned out in the end. Hope you like it and attempt to make one, too.

On another note, just like how styles change, you may have noticed how my blog has changed over the years, as well. I still enjoy raw vegan foods, but I don't post them quite as often. I'm more inspired to post these DIYs and other aspects of my life, if I'm even in the mood to post at all (if I feel like a post is forced, I'd rather wait until I'm actually excited about what I have to share, which explains why I don't post as often). There is more to me than what I eat. Thank you to everyone who has stuck around all this time. Love you all :-)