Saturday, September 20, 2008

What am I making?


That is the question. With these three main ingredients, as well as a little bit of this and a little bit of that, what am I about to make?

Now you see, it came to me, while healing from my injury (hey, that rhymes). It's been a tad more difficult to maneuver around my kitchen, so I've been taking it easy with simpler recipes. (Well, actually I typed this one up a couple weeks ago. Now that I'm back to work, thus having less time to post, I thought I'd share it with you today. I just hope you guys still have access to some good quality local tomatoes).

This recipe was inspired by a package of Lydia's Organics Sunflower Seed Bread, although you could use your favorite raw "bread" recipe or one of these: Mild Olive Rosemary Bread, Zoe's Bread, Better Than Sliced Bread or Sun Bread (all featured on the Gone Raw website). I just happened to have some of this pre-made product on hand, which made this meal so easy; I decided to call it, "Easy Peasy Raw Panzanella."

What is panzanella? Well, it's a basic Italian bread salad, made out of day-old bread, vine-ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. It doesn't get any easier than that. And, with the help of a convenience product (we could all use a helping hand every once and a while), I can make it as fast or faster than this 30-minute meal (hey, that's my bowl).

To make it even easier, I didn't measure anything. So, be brave; you can do it, too. Make as much or as little as you want, and season it to suit your tastes. I've pretty much given you all the guidance you need, but if you still need a recipe, here you go:


Easy Peasy Raw Panzanella
Prepared raw "bread," broken into bite-size pieces
Fresh tomatoes, sliced into chunks
Handfuls of fresh basil leaves
Drizzle of red wine vinegar
Heavier drizzle of olive oil
Sea salt and pepper, to taste

Place the tomatoes and basil leaves in a bowl. Drizzle with some red wine vinegar, and a heavier drizzle of EVOO. Then, season with sea salt and pepper.

Add the "bread" pieces, and toss to coat. Taste, and adjust the flavors to your liking. The "bread" should absorb some of the liquid and soften. Now, it's ready to serve.

*This is just a basic recipe, but feel free to make your own adjustments. Red onion, cucumbers and bell peppers are common additions, and you can even make a dessert version, similar to this cooked one (I just wouldn't advise using a savory "bread).