Friday, August 29, 2008

Shannon rocks!

And rolls her foot. Ouch!

When I went to pick up Jacob from the bus stop yesterday, I had a bit of an accident. You see, on my way out the door, I put on an old pair of high-heeled flip flops that had seen better days. The straps had been stretched out a little, so I paid the price for not tossing them out a long time ago.

The walk to his stop is all downhill, and I was in a bit of a hurry. I ran halfway, and then, I slowed down to a walking pace. That's when it happened; the bottom of one of my shoes turned to the side, causing my foot to twist and the rest of my body to go down with it.

There I was on the pavement, all scraped and bruised. One of the neighbors ran to help, so I asked that she leave me there for the moment and get my son off the bus safely.

While she made her way to the bus stop, I turned to see my husband coming up over the hill (he came home early from work and was going to meet Jacob and I when the bus arrived). Next thing I knew, everything went dark, the lights came back up and there was my hubby hovering above me, checking to see if I was okay.

I guess I had passed out from the trauma, while I was trying to access my own injuries. At that point, I was bleeding quite a bit near my pinkie toe, could feel the scrapes through my jeans (thank goodness I wasn't wearing shorts) and was having trouble moving my foot. But, after passing out, I had added a few more scrapes, as well as a bruised chin (I'm a mess).

Matthew had to go get the car to transport me back to the house. Of course, I am quite stubborn, so I spent most of the evening trying to do everything as usual. I was in a lot of pain (actually, I still am), but I still managed to hobble around a bit.

My foot is very bruised and swollen. Hopefully, I didn't make it worse. I guess we'll find out today, when I see a doctor. I think it needs to be x-rayed.

Anyway, enough about the foot. On the bright side, to make dinner easy last night, I made a ginormous (Rawbin and Blaq Berry, there's that word again) sandwich, using two huge portabello mushroom caps as the bread, and romaine lettuce leaves, a variety of heirloom tomato slices and avocado slices as the filling. This was served alongside some yellow bean fries (I love the idea of something that resembles fries even if they don't taste quite the same).

Dessert came from none other than NaturalZing. I had placed an order for some chocolate rocks (Jeff started the "Shannon Rocks" thing, hence the name of this post), raw cocoa powder and Gone Nuts maple walnuts, which were delivered not long after my fall. Also in the box were these UliMana Hemp Nib Brownies; they made for a perfect ending to this not-so-perfect day.


Since starting this post, I've been on a wild goose chase, trying to get my foot taken care of before the holiday weekend. I went to my doctor, who set me to the hospital for x-rays. Then, I went home, found out it is fractured and managed to get an appointment with an orthopedist today. You should check out my new footwear. Ha ha.


Anonymous said...


That sounds painful. How wonderful that your neighbor and husband were there just when you needed them!

I hope it heals quickly without a lot of pain for you!

Lots of love,


p.s. That is a yummy-looking sandwich with fries!!!

Paulina said...

I'm so sorry about your accident, I hope you get better soon! Btw, what kind of condiment, if any, do you use on your delicious looking raw burger? It looks so good! I'm definitely eating this for lunch tomorrow!

~Jaime said...

...awwww! Feel better soon!

HiHoRosie said...

Oh my gosh!!!! You broke your foot?! I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you and all the trauma that went with it. Hugs to you and hope you're feeling better in no time.

Your "burger and fries" look picture perfect. And I have tried those brownies by UliMana. Mmmm....good and RICH!

Take it easy. Keep us posted k?

Dhrumil said...


Speedy recovery Shannon!

shannonmarie said...

Thanks for the hugs Wendi. I am lucky that they were around. I'm trying to be positive about the whole situation. I got to hang out all day with my hubby yesterday (although it was at multiple doctor visits), and I did it on a long weekend, which gives me time to figure out what to do about work and getting Jacob off to school.

Paulina, thanks for your kind words. As for the sandwich, I would've used a raw mayo, made out of soaked cashews, water, lemon juice, EVOO, sea salt, pepper and a touch of dry mustard, but after the accident, I didn't feel like putting one together. I just happened to have really good quality ingredients that tasted great with only a dash of sea salt, some fresh ground pepper and dried basil (didn't have any fresh that day).

Thanks Jaime, Rosie and Dhru for the well wishes. Maybe my raw diet will speed up my recovery. Gotta get me some greens.

Rosie, I'm so glad those brownies showed up. They really brightened my mood.

RawBin said...

hey shannon, here in Atlanta wishing you a speedy recovery! I'm so sorry to hear your cute strappy-heeled sandals have now been retired! a pic of your cute little feet before the "trip" to the bus stop:

shannonmarie said...

Hope you're having fun in Atlanta. Wish I could be there, too.

That picture cracks me up. The angle reminds me of one of those fun house mirrors; my feet look smaller (as if that is even possible) and my calves are ginormous (ha ha; now I really do have Schwarzenegger calves).

Colleen (aka "Rawleen") said...

Oh man! That stinks! I hope you have a pain-free path to recovery. I bet the raw foods will help heal those bruises quicker.
Mmmm. Ulimana......I'm drooling!!!

shannonmarie said...

Thanks. I hope you're right.