Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sneaky tomato thief

Okay; I'll admit this isn't the clearest picture ever posted on this site, but like this blast-from-the-past photo, it's still darn cute enough to share (at least in my opinion). The best part is the story that goes along with it.

Let me first say, I can't believe our tomato plant out front is continuing to produce yummy produce (the first being the verb, followed by the very slightly different sounding noun; kind of like the whole "to-may-to/to-mah-to" thing ... except it remains the same tomato. On second thought ... maybe "produce" is pronounced the same both times). You may recall seeing it (the tomato plant) pictured/mentioned in this Natural Zing post, although the tomatoes on it were green at the time.

Hayden has become quite curious about these color-changing fruits (that's right; a tomato is a fruit), even snagging one for herself when no one was looking. She bit right into it, eating it like it was an apple (kind of like when her online boy friend - a friend that's a boy, as she's not quite ready for that yet - bit off an unchopped apple).

When I caught her (quite quickly, I might add), I washed it off and helped her (by holding the tomato for her; she wasn't about to share with me) polish off the rest. To my surprise, she chowed down about 3/4 of the tomato before calling it quits. Something tells me that she takes after her mommy (although her daddy has been known to use the same tomato-eating method).

Speaking of taking after her mommy, I wonder if she'd like this cool (seriously, it's chilled) clear tomato soup recipe I discovered this weekend. I can't wait to try it :-)