Thursday, October 7, 2010

Oh no she didn't ...


... oh yes she did. Sorry that I've been too busy to post lately (which reminds me, I need to get another post together for Natural Zing; here's the last one, if you missed it). I've just been living/enjoying life with my family, free of all the online drama. I have to admit that I really haven't read up on all of it myself, but I've heard there has been a lot of food confessions, label-ditching, etc.

Anyway, I'm happy to be going about my day-to-day without all the labels, standards and what-have-you. Yes, I still primarily eat raw vegan foods (green smoothies are a staple for this mom, who finally got her own cool reusable cup like her blogging friends), but I like not having to answer to anyone about how perfect my diet/lifestyle is (sometimes it's not all organic, as I can't always afford it).

For example, I've confessed to eating some cooked here and there (usually baked sweet potatoes and steamed veggies), and when I slip, it's not always the healthiest choice (although healthier than most options, like when Alicia Silverstone eats a not-so-superhero vegan cupcake; BTW, I found out I won an Eco Tools brush set from her Kind Life site). This leads me to today's post.

A while back, I finally got the opportunity to make The Fitnessista Gina's Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake (in case you're wondering, it's gluten-free and packed with protein; Sun Warrior to be exact), and I don't regret it one bit. Yes, it was cooked, not to mention the fact that it was baked in the microwave. Hey, at least it's better than when I used to nuke marshmallows as a child to see them blow up and shrink back down to size (microwaves are great for experimenting, literally).

Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed having a little fun with this tasty experiment. Although I don't see myself microwaving my meals in the future, I got a kick out of seeing this mini cake bake, like the ones from my Easy Bake Oven, only much faster.

Life is too short to worry so much about achieving the perfect diet or what someone else thinks. I still want to live a long life, but I want to truly live it. I can be healthy and make room for the not-so-perfectly healthy stuff, too (only on occasion, of course). In the end, not stressing over every last detail all the time really keeps you youthful.

My kids keep me young, as well. I'm having a blast spending more time with them, rather than the computer. We are getting more involved with reading. In case I never updated you, Jacob did finish all 50 books from his summer reading project, and even added one more to include Washington, D.C. (there was a place on the map to put a sticker there, too; he selected "Duck for President" as his book). He is currently participating in a Read-A Thon for school, which has him clocking in more than the required minutes of reading each and every night.

Hayden is going to story time, and bringing home her own books from the local library (as well as goodbye hugs and kisses from the boys; can you believe it's starting this early?), although she took a pencil to one of them (thank goodness I could erase it, like her doodles on our chalk board). No wonder I tend to stick to our own personal library.

Speaking of books, I signed up to be an ambassador for Barefoot Books. You may have noticed the links set up on my blog. I plan on updating them periodically to reflect any special offers, videos, activities, etc. Feel free to check them out to either purchase books or just to sing along with the songs (Hayden is a big fan of this pirate one).



But enough about that. I basically wanted to check in and let you all know how I was doing. Hope all is well with you, too :-)

*****

In case you were wondering what piece of jewelry I made my mom this year for her birthday (I usually blog about it), here is the bracelet I gave her (my sister and I also cleaned her garage). It was inspired by this Martha Stewart project.


Oh, and Hayden colored a card for her, too :-)