Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sun day refreshment


I don't know about you, but I think it's entirely too hot outside (we've broken 100 degrees 3 days in a row). I can't wait for the temps to go down just a bit (lucky us; it's only gonna be 95 today).

On summer Sundays or any sunny day, it's nice to chill with a cool glass of lemonade; the pink kind (lemon, strawberry and apple juice over ice, sometimes with fresh herbs, like mint, too) being a favorite around here. Finishing off a brief cupcake kick, we had fun kicking that Rawdorable Strawberry Coconut Cupcake up a notch by transforming it into a Strawberry Lemonade Cupcake. So refreshing.

Hayden loves to play pretend, and it showed while she posed with our cute creation. She acted like she was really sipping away on the raw cupcake version of the pinkalicious beverage. She actually got some of the "cake" to go up the straw. Then, she went ahead and ate the rest (with mommy's help, of course).

And, so the rest of you can cool off with a refreshing raw cupcake, here's how we made this one:


Rawdorable Strawberry Lemonade Cupcake
*makes one refreshing raw cupcake to share with a friend
  • 1/4 cup raw cashews
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries
  • Zest of 1/2 a lemon
  • 1 Tbsp. date paste*
  • Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
  • Quick lemon glaze**
  • Fresh organic strawberry for garnish
  • Lemon slice for garnish
  • Straw for decoration (optional)
Add the cashews, coconut, freeze-dried strawberries and about half of the lemon zest (save the rest to sprinkle on top of the finished cupcake) to a personal-size blender (I used my Magic Bullet blender) or mini food processor and process into a pink flour-like consistency. Dump the "flour" into a small mixing bowl.

Add the date paste (*dates soaked overnight, then processed into a paste) and a squeeze of lemon juice to the bowl of "flour." Use a whisk to evenly incorporate the date paste throughout the "flour," while preserving its crumb-like texture. At this point, the "batter" should be moist enough to form into a cupcake, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator.

Gently (using a light touch), mold the "batter" into a ball and place into a reusable silicone cupcake liner or ramekin. Lightly press into a cupcake shape.

Ice the cupcake with quick lemon glaze (**coconut oil flavored with a squeeze of lemon juice to taste and sweetened with agave or your favorite liquid sweetener) and top with lemon zest "sprinkles," a slice of lemon and a fresh organic strawberry (I cut mine to look like a heart). You can even add a short straw for decoration.

*I think this one could be jazzed up even more with the addition of fresh herbs. Some suggestions would be mint, basil, lavender or thyme. Let me know if you try it :-)

*****


If you missed my last post about my 10-year wedding anniversary (my hubby surprised me with these lovely roses) and Rawdorable Maple Fakin' Cupcake, check it out here. I also decided to post the recipe for you, my loyal readers, below:


Rawdorable
Maple Fakin' Cupcakes

*makes one full-size raw cupcake to share with your man
  • 1/4 cup raw cashews
  • 1/4 cup raw almonds
  • 1 tsp. mesquite powder
  • Sprinkling of cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp. date paste*
  • Touch of vanilla
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • Drizzle of pure maple syrup, to taste
  • Quick maple-nut frosting**
  • "Carmelized" fakin' date bits***
Add the cashews, almonds, mesquite powder and cinnamon to a personal-size blender (I used my Magic Bullet blender) or mini food processor and process into a flour-like consistency. Dump the "flour" into a small mixing bowl.

Next, add the date paste (*dates soaked overnight, then processed into a paste), a touch of vanilla and a pinch of sea salt.
Use a whisk to evenly incorporate the date paste throughout the "flour," while preserving its crumb-like texture.

At this point, add a small drizzle of pure maple syrup (I missed this step in the video, but the cupcake still tasted yummy without it). Whisk to combine. The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire). Form it into a cupcake shape.

Ice the cupcake with quick maple-nut frosting (**about 50/50 nut butter and coconut oil sweetened with pure maple syrup and a little vanilla) and sprinkle the top with "carmelized" fakin' (as in fake bacon) date bits (***finely chopped dates marinated in a mixture of apple cider vinegar, Bragg's liquid aminos, pure maple syrup, cayenne pepper and paprika; I only use a tiny bit of each ingredient, just enough to toss in a small palm-full of chopped dates).

*The addition of the "carmelized" fakin' bits sounds crazy, but it's truly a delicious marriage of flavors not to be missed.

*****


Three is a charm, so I've got one more idea for you today. This time it's not food-related, but it involves something from my kitchen.

In this humid weather, it's tough to stay dry and keep your makeup fresh. My tip is to use organic gmo-free cornstarch (actually, I don't think I really use it for cooking) under your arms and on your face (yes, I just recommended you use something in both of these places).

Okay, let's start with your underarms. I've been using cornstarch for years to keep them dry, just like how some people have been known to apply baby powder. When I looked at some of the more natural powders on the market, they contained cornstarch, so I thought I'd try it by itself. Trust me; it helps, and it is even better when combined with baking soda and some mint, lemon or other natural scent.

Lately, my makeup has been a natural cream base, which is very moisturizing. However, it also melts in the heat. To resolve this issue, I pulled out my trusty cornstarch and brushed it on like a translucent powder. Now, my makeup survives the day.

Do you have any kitchen beauty tips to share? Let me know :-)