Monday, February 27, 2012

Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Stiletto


I've always been impressed with chocolate fashions, like those showcased at this chocolate couture event. I'm also a huge fan of chocolate-covered strawberries, which I usually make for our Oscar celebrations. After posting my 24 Carrot Golden Cupcakes in high heel form, I just had to combine my love of fashion and chocolate-covered strawberries to create this Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Stiletto.


Chocolate-Covered
Strawberry Stiletto Cupcake

*Makes one chocolate strawberry high heel cupcake, perfect for the chocolate fashion runway, although not meant to wear on your feet
  • 1/3 cup almonds
  • 1/4 cup cashews
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp. freeze-dried strawberries
  • 1 Tbsp. date paste
  • generous drizzle of pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • dash of sea salt
  • *two fresh strawberries for filling and garnish (I used a chocolate-covered strawberry for the filling)
  • *chocolate bar cut in a "heel" shape (I used part of a Gnosis Chocolate Aphrodisia bar, which has a cool design printed on it)
  • *Butterdream icing (I used my vanilla bean and strawberry versions)
  • *quick and easy chocolate icing (cocoa powder mixed with pure maple syrup) for decorating
In a mini food processor or blender, grind the almonds, cashews, cocoa powder and freeze-dried strawberries into a flour-like consistency (you can also substitute some of the almonds for leftover nut pulp from making nutmilk to result in a lighter cake texture), and transfer the "flour" to a bowl.

Next, add the date paste, maple syrup, vanilla, and sea salt. Whisk to combine (a whisk helps keep the "batter" fluffier). The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire).

Form a third of the batter into narrow triangular shape, about the thickness of a Larabar (or you could probably use a Larabar for this part), and set aside. Then, using the rest of the batter, form a cupcake shape, leaving a melon ball size valley in the center and a small amount to the side to top it off. Fill the cupcake with a fresh strawberry (I actually used a chocolate-covered strawberry) and top it with the excess dough. Carefully blend in the seams.

Attach the triangular shaped batter to the side of the cupcake top and support the free end with the chocolate bar "heel." You'll need to press the bar slightly into the batter to help hold it in place. Allow to set in the fridge for a few minutes.

Frost the cupcake shoe "sole" (the triangular shaped batter) with Strawberry Butterdream Icing and the top of the cupcake with Vanilla Bean Butterdream Icing. Then, decorate with a fresh strawberry half cut to look like a heart and quick and easy chocolate icing designs. Delish!



*****

And, BTW, we did have our usual Sunday dinner and Oscar viewing party last night (rather than going with the plan mentioned in my other high heel cupcake post). It just was in shifts (my sister, her hubby and kids came late, and my hubby and I had to get our kids home before the end, as it was a school night) and not as elaborate as in other years (not everyone dressed up, and those who did, toned it down a notch).

"The Hayster" (one of her many nicknames) and I did get gussied up a bit. Hayden tiptoed around in her pretty princess dress (that's what she calls fluffy dresses) and I took advantage of the opportunity to wear a lovely frock my hubby got me for Christmas.

Since my mom suggested incorporating an Oscar movie theme of some sort, I opted to add some vintage styling, in honor of my favorite flicks, "The Artist," (congrats on winning Best Picture, as I predicted), "My Week With Marilyn" (Michelle Williams looked stunning last night; she was one of my best dressed picks, along with Stacy Keibler and Gwyneth Paltrow) and "Hugo" (I took both kids to see it in 3-D. I would have included "The Help" in that list, but I haven't seen it ... yet).

I covered my bare shoulders with a classic cardigan, adorned my neck with an old beaded necklace that once belonged to my mother-in-law, drew some attention to my legs with these foxy fishnets (with the seam up the back; after seeing this photo taken by my hubby, I made sure to line them up better), yet sported a sensible pair of vintage-inspired wedges that I found buried in the back of my closet.

Hayden thought I should have worn some pointed toe stilettos, and even tried to put them on herself. She looked so cute that I snapped this pic for you.


Here are the rest of the photos from our shoot before walking out the door. It was fun to dress up and have our picture taken together ... even if I had to squat down to fit in the picture with my pretty princess.



Have a lovely day!

*****

In case you missed it: