Saturday, February 11, 2012

I'm an "It Girl"


... at least I am an "It Girl," according to Julep Maven. I've had fun taking Julep's style quiz in the past, but usually end up as an "American Beauty." There's nothing wrong with that (it does describe my often natural appearance, not to mention "American Beauty" also being an Academy Award-winning film - I'll get to the Oscar talk in a minute), but something inside of me longed to be the "It Girl."

Speaking of being an "It Girl," the term usually goes to influential individuals and comes with a lot of responsibility. I've never really thought my tiny little blog had that much influence in the grand scheme of things; however, it only takes one to make a difference.

With that in mind, I just wanted to remind everyone, that I'm not 100 percent raw, nor do I have the perfect diet. I tend to be an intuitive eater and listen to what my body specifically needs at the time and adjust accordingly. We are all unique, and therefore, should not be patterning our eating styles based on what we read on someone's blog. That's why I try not to post what I'm eating daily, and especially not what my kids eat (they are not 100 percent raw either).

Just to keep any food-related posts more neutral, from now on, I'll probably use the word "unbaked" for my nut- or seed-based food creations, as they are not just for raw foodies. I find they are a yummy alternative for those who have issues with gluten, dairy and/or eggs (and those one just want to try some). They also taste good and are fun for special occasions (not everyday).

Anyway, enough about that. Let's go back to the subject of this post, Julep Maven.

If you read this past post, you may remember the Nina Loren earrings my hubby gave me early for Valentine's Day. In addition, he also let me pick an additional beauty subscription service for the year (I'm already loving Eco-Emi). To start, I figured I'd try Julep Maven, known for its 3-free, cruelty-free nail polishes and related products. For $19.99 per month (shipping included), you can become a Julep Maven and get a box of the latest and greatest nail products sent to your door each month based on your style profile.

Your style profile is determined by your answers to their online quiz, which changes from time to time. This month's quiz is red carpet-themed to go along with the upcoming Oscars, and Julep's glittery gold polish, also named "Oscar." As soon as I saw that sparkling shade, I knew I wanted it for our annual family Oscar party at my parents' house. We all dress up for the occasion, take pics on a red scrap of fabric (our version of a red carpet) and snack on hors d'oeuvres, like chocolate-covered strawberries.

Anyway, "Oscar" was included in all of this month's sets, so becoming a Julep Maven for February was definitely a no-brainer (especially since just one polish costs $14, and I happened to find a code to get my first month for a penny. There always seems to be some special offer code, usuallly $5 for the first month. You can even earn a free month by referring two friends). I was also excited by my "It Girl" results, which probably was due to me selecting Zooey Deschanel, as the celebrity whose style most represents mine (she's so cute; I'd totally rock those tuxedo nails she had done for the Golden Globes).



My "It Girl" box arrived all dolled up for the Oscars, too (as you can see in the video above). It even had a dark chocolate Oscar as a fun surprise. It made me think of when "Forrest Gump" won a lot of awards at the 67th Academy Awards in 1995. That was the year that we all ate a chocolate every time the movie won something. Yum!

One of the other colors in the box had me reminiscing about my past. "Rachel" is a gorgeous brownish burgundy shade that's exactly the same color as my favorite nail polish in college. I also watched a lot of episodes of "Friends" at the time, which immediately made me think of the character on the show.

"Titanic" was also a huge success at the box office at the time (not to mention the Academy Awards). Did you notice that it is coming back to the theaters soon, but it's now in 3-D?

The last of the three 3-free (free of formaldehyde, toluene and parabens) and cruelty-free nail polishes in the box is a deep purple, yet almost midnight blue shade (depending on the lighting), which could be compared to those dark waters in "Titanic" or perhaps the blue stone heart necklace that everyone ran out to buy at the time the movie was at its peak (I know I had one), but I'd prefer to draw attention to the late Elizabeth Taylor's amazing purple eyes. Maybe that's why this shade is named, "Elizabeth."

Anyway, I just wanted to share what was in our first box with you, just because I like it and not as a true review. I thought I'd continue with this blog by posting a mix of what's happening in our lives and the things that make me happy. I want to keep it a positive environment, much like Zooey Deschanel's Hello Giggles site. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. You know I love all of my readers no matter how you eat or what you believe. That's what makes you, "you" :-)


BTW, this is my really quick manicure I did the other night (not my best nail painting work, but that's not bad for having a toddler in the house). I thought "Elizabeth" looked like the perfect night sky backdrop to the glittery golden "Oscar" star tips. And, in honor of Valentine's Day, I dabbed on a tiny bit of the "Rachel" in a cute little heart shape, on my ring finger, of course. Please excuse my not-so youthful fingers, as they certainly are the result of a ton of hand-washing from my years working in a pediatric office (although I'm not a doctor, so keep in mind my disclaimer at the bottom of this site).