Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I hope Alissa likes pizza


If you follow my blog and/or twitter account, you may have noticed me trying to get the word out about my friend Alissa's Kickstarter campaign to grow her business, Punk Rawk Labs. In the final hours of the campaign, I decided to make a raw cupcake in her honor to celebrate the fact that she has now reached her goal. Congrats!

It's no surprise that today's cupcake incorporates her raw nutmilk cheese, much like how I used the herb flavor (my personal fave) in this Chocolate Pomegranate Vampire Bite Cupcake and the smoked version in this Rawified Salted Caramel and Smoked Pepper Cupcake. However, I did get a kick out of the fact that I used the more savory flavors in sweet cupcake recipes, while I ended up using the plain in a savory recipe for this post.

Yes, as you may have guessed from the title and the photos, I made a raw pizza cupcake (pizza tends to be a victory meal after a big game; therefore, it just seemed fitting), which tastes so much better than it sounds. Try it out and see. But first, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who pledged their support (special thanks to Russell James for sending out that last minute e-mail this morning). I know Alissa thanks you, too.


Raw Vegan Pizza
for Alissa Cupcake

*makes one raw vegan pizza cupcake to satisfy your pizza and cupcake cravings in support of Alissa from Punk Rawk Labs
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1 Tbsp. raw tomato paste (soaked sun-dried tomatoes blended into a paste)
  • light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • dash of sea salt
  • *about 1 Tbsp. of Punk Rawk Labs nutmilk cheese in plain or herb for the filling
  • * More raw tomato paste, Italian seasoning, Punk Rawk Labs nutmilk cheese and favorite raw pizza toppings for garnish


In a mini food processor or blender, grind the almonds into a flour-like consistency (you can also substitute some of the almonds for leftover nut pulp from making nutmilk to result in a lighter cake texture), and transfer the "flour" to a bowl.

Next, add the raw tomato paste (soaked sun-dried tomatoes blended into a paste), olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and sea salt. Whisk to combine (a whisk helps keep the "batter" fluffier). The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire).

Form the batter into a cupcake shape, leaving a melon ball size valley in the center and a small amount to the side to top it off. Fill the cupcake with nutmilk cheese and top it with the excess dough. I shaped the top of mine to look like a slice of pizza, which I highlighted with some fresh baby spinach leaves. You could also stick with the traditional round cupcake top or use these triangle-shaped liners.

Decorate the pizza cupcake with some more raw tomato paste, nutmilk cheese, a sprinkling of Italian seasonings and your choice of raw toppings. I opted for a small slice of mushroom and very tiny sliced grape tomato rounds. Enjoy!