Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patrick's Day blender battle


Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! Hope you are all wearing your green. I couldn't find my American Apparel baseball tee with the green sleeves to wear today, so I quickly tossed on "MY WHITE T IS GREEN" (that's what it says in green on a white t-shirt) shirt instead, along with my four leaf clover necklace for luck. Oh, and I made sure to wear green underwear, too (TMI! Did I just admit that? I sure did).

When it comes to green food, I never seem to go a day without it, due to green smoothies, salads and just tossing greens into almost anything blended. Even on vacation, I make sure to find a way to get some green in my diet.

Speaking of blending, I'm so excited to say that I won a Tribest personal blender from Living Light Culinary Arts Institute recently (this is the same place that does the Hot Raw Chef contest I entered last summer. Thank you for the blender Living Light). I had been meaning to tell you about it, but hadn't figured out the best way to do it.

I wanted to have fun with it in a blender war with my trusty Magic Bullet blender. I just needed to come up with something simple for their first round of competition. Being that it is St. Patrick's Day, Hayden and I decided to make some fresh green orange juice.

When I was little my mom would dye the orange juice with green food coloring, which freaked me out; I refused to drink it. Who would have thought I'd one day by drinking fresh green orange juice naturally dyed with baby spinach leaves.

I have to admit that this is my first time using the Tribest blender, and that I've never actually blended greens in my Magic Bullet (I use a high-powered blender for that). I put one and a half clementines (peeled and segmented , of course) in both blender containers, along with the same size handful of baby spinach and 1/4 cup of water in each one. Watch our video to see which one won :-)



*****


Okay, so for those of you who can't watch the video, here's what they looked like blended and poured into our glasses. Can you guess which one is which? Hint: I poured the Magic Bullet one into the wider glass for me. I wonder why?

Also, Jacob was playing with his Legos while we were filming today's video. It looks as though he caught a leprechaun. He must have been after those shamrocks on the table.

I purchased the shamrock plant on our latest Trader Joe's shopping trip, when we saw those flowers from my last post. Does anyone know if they are really "cupcake" flowers? I'm still looking for an answer.