Friday, March 2, 2012

It's all in the bag


To those of you who haven't been interested in my beauty posts, I'll apologize in advance for this one. I just enjoy blogging about the things I like, for those of you who might want to know about them, too (I do have other interests than food).

For example, I posted recently about my Eco Emi boxes (here's January and February), not because anyone asked me to, but because I was so happy with what I have received. I believe I first found out about it via a YouTube review, and if that vlogger hadn't shared her experience, I never would have known about it to sign up for the service (thanks emasonbeauty).

The Eco Emi boxes are especially fun, as they are like surprise presents from a friend. They have personal touches and you never know what you're gonna get until it arrives (unless you peek at the reviews posted before you get yours, which I refuse to do; I don't want to spoil the surprise).

But, some people prefer to know what they are getting before they order and would rather select only the boxes (or in today's case, bags) that suit their needs. I like a little of both, so although I have no plans of canceling my Eco Emi any time soon, I purchased a LovingEco Beauty Bag 2. The "2" refers to the second Beauty Bag that's been offered on the site. I hope that means there will be more.

LovingEco is the same site I purchased my first Conscience Box from near the end of last year. As with all LovingEco purchases, I got it at a discounted price and part of the proceeds went to a worthy cause. The Conscience Box was fun for one round, but I didn't see it being a good fit for me month after month (maybe it would be for someone else, though).

Anyway, when I received the e-mail about LovingEco's first Beauty Bag, I considered it, but for some reason, never placed an order. Then, when I found out about the second Beauty Bag being offered, I jumped at the chance (I think it was because I was so pleased with my first Eco Emi box, which included one of the same products; I'll get to that in a minute). Lucky for me that I did, because it sold out fast (I think it may have been in only an hour or two).

This was the description of the bag on the LovingEco site (as well as the product photo that went along with it):

"Introducing our exclusive LovingEco Beauty Bag! With deluxe samples of a total of 8 amazing skincare and beauty brands, this is a great way to discover new natural beauty products. And we are proud to include Josie Maran Argan oil, like a liquid gold, it's a natural moisturizer for your skin and hair. The products come with a colorful 3-set of bags from Baggu - great for organizing makeup in your purse. LovingEco Natural Beauty bag is in limited quantities and will go fast, so get yours now! And dream forward!"

The Beauty Bag sold for $14.95 (an estimated $50 value) with a very reasonable shipping charge (I think it was about $4.95) and 3% of the net proceeds going to support Village Empowerment. Here's what came in the bag, in video format and typed out info (LovingEco's descriptions, followed by my thoughts).



Josie Maran Argan Oil: "This legendary, lightweight oil, grown organically in Morocco, is rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids. Use it as a fast absorbing daily moisturizer, or to heal and condition everything from cuticles to split ends. Plus it is 100% organic! Housed in a recyclable glass bottle."

Not everyone likes argan oil, but I do. I use it on my dry winter hands and nails, my heels (as in on my feet, not on my shoes or high heel cupcake treats) and sometimes on the ends of my hair (if I use it all over my hair, though, it can appear too greasy). I also sometimes add a drop to my facial cleanser when my skin gets a tad dry (not often, but it happens occasionally). I liked this tiny dark glass dropper bottle, which I plan on keeping to either refill (this is the perfect size for travel) or to store my natural beauty product creations.

NuWorld Botanicals Aromatherapy Personal Roll-Ons: "A quick and easy way to enjoy the benefits of pure Aromatherapy on-the-go! Twelve, ready-to-use targeted blends combine the power of transforming essential oils and skin-nourishing anti-oxidants including Vitamins A, B, C and E. Massage onto pulse point areas – back of neck (or just below ears), inside wrists or temples. Breathe in the gentle aroma for an overall sense of well-being and restoration."

I've always been a fan of aromatherapy roll-ons. I used to keep one in my purse that helped with headaches. To this day, I believe it works. The one I got in this bag is called Crave Control. I wonder if it can deter my cravings. I can say that it smells very nice (a combination of citrus, spearmint and fennel), and will probably be my perfume of choice, at the moment. And, did I mention that it is a full-size sample?

Baggu: "Set of three small zipper bags to organize your stuff. Holds cosmetics, an MP3 player, jewelry, a camera, business cards, keys, earbuds, guitar picks, or anything else small that needs a bag. Includes three bags from 3.25" x 4" to 6.5" x 5.25". 100% Ripstop Nylon. Machine Washable."

These bags are so cute and colorful. Love the polka dots. They are great for organizing the smaller items in your purse, especially if you change which one you are carrying often. They'd also be nice for gift giving. I think they'd be perfect for wrapping homemade natural beauty products or handmade jewelry.

Dr. Cleangreen's Organic Hand Sanitizer: "Formulated by physicians, this instant hand purifier kills 99.99% of germs on contact but won't damage sensitive skin. This unique blend of purifying essential oils eliminates the need for excessive alcohol, hazardous chemicals or artificial colors & fragrances. It is simply a naturally sweet-smelling lotion that goes on smoothly and works quickly, gently and effectively."

This product sold me of purchasing the Beauty Bag. I received this full-size sample in my January Eco Emi box and loved it so much that I had to get more. As a mommy of two, I always have hand sanitizer in my purse for times when we can't get to a sink to wash our hands. I'm not a fan of the chemical stuff and even the eco-friendly ones seem to dry out my skin. This one is more like a moisturizing lotion and it smells better, too.

EcoGlo Minerals Bronzer: "Free of bismuth oxychloride, gluten, talc, FD&C dyes, ferric ferrocyanide, parabens, nanoparticles or micronized minerals. Ingredients: mica, zinc oxide, iron oxides"

I haven't had the chance to use this yet, but I like that it looks similar to cocoa powder (hmmm ... now I probably need to use that Crave Control), which can be used as a natural bronzer. Anyway, sometimes mineral makeup bothers my skin and other times it is okay. I'd be curious to see how this one works. It does come in a small container that could last a while.

Hellomellow Body Butter: "Your skin will happily devour these nutrients while your senses luxuriate in our blissful scent of spirit warming juniper berry and sage. Our creamy body butter heals and protects your skin like nothing you have ever used before. Ingredients: avocado butter, mango butter and essential oils of juniper berry, sage."

This came in the cutest little container, perfect for travel. It has a light, yet detoxifying scent (must be the sage). The consistency is nice, too. It is fairly solid, but is still easy to apply.

Marie Veronique Organics Anti-Aging Oil: "Combats aging with the most powerful oils, including argan, grapeseed and evening primrose. Provides the ultimate protection and repair of the lipid barrier with essential fatty acids from emu, krill and kiwi seed. Seals in moisture and leaves the skin supple, smooth and more refined. Prevents moisture loss and dehydration."

I was curious about this one, as the price of a full-size container is fairly steep. Unfortunately, it has emu oil in it, which is not something I want in my skin care. I'll probably pass it along to someone else. It's just not for me.

The Ginger People - Ginger Eye Cream: "GO Ginger Eye Cream provides an immediate tightening effect. Specifically developed to support the integrity of the skin around the eye, this formula increases blood flow to help reduce puffiness, increase elasticity and diminish inflammation."

I have yet to try this product, but I do like The Ginger People. I ate their ginger chews while pregnant. They really helped my nausea at the time. I also think their mascot is cute. Oh, and this sample is an ample size tube, so I should be able to get a really good idea as to if it works for me.

W3LL People Luminust 56 Powder: "Creates a bronze glow. Mineral Bronzer and Skin Illuminizer. Ingredients: Mica, iron oxides, titanium dioxide, may contain ultramarine blue, ferric ferrocyanide."

I didn't get a lot of information about this product, so I assumed it was an eyeshadow. It's actually another bronzer, but more shimmery than the EcoGlow. It will probably work well for a highlighter and perhaps as an eyeshadow, as well.

*****

LovingEco, if you're reading this, please continue putting together these Beauty Bags. I like having the chance to try a variety of eco-friendly products at a reasonable price without all the waste (believe me; I have purchased my share of full-size products that I didn't know what to do with when they weren't right for me. Sample bags like these help me decide which ones I really want to buy). I'm sure I'm not alone when it comes to this.

*****

My March Julep Maven

Oh, and rather than doing a whole post on my latest Julep Maven shipment, I decided to just give you a quick glimpse at the bottom of this post. I received the "It Girl" selection again (here's my post from last month, in case you missed it), which comes with 3 polishes (the other selections came with two polishes and another product; this month was argan oil). This time, the polishes were packed with an emery board, as well.

My polishes included Jodie (a deep red with a golden shimmer), Charlotte (a purple, perfect for the start of Spring. Yesterday was actually the meteorological first day of Spring) and Melissa (a fun minty shimmer that can be worn alone or on top of the other colors). I'm wearing Melissa over top of Charlotte today. The photo below doesn't quite capture the holographic effect. So cool!

Happy Friday!