Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The "Brave" little cupcake


Okay, I have to admit that I'm getting a bit "cupcaked out" (as if that was possible), but I decided to stick with my plan to post Rawdorable cupcakes based on the taste round of "Cupcake Champions." Counting today's post, there are only two more episodes to complete my personal challenge.

Sunday's episode (which aired again Tuesday night) highlighted the new Pixar movie, "Brave." Contestants were challenged to make a delicious cupcake containing one required Scottish ingredient, which they were assigned based on their archery skills (They had to shoot an arrow at a target of possible ingredients and use the ingredient marked where their arrow landed).

I didn't have a labeled target at which to shoot, so I just pretended as if I made a perfect shot at the oats. Besides, I wasn't about to make one with mutton or whiskey. However, I did base my Rawdorable cupcake on the Scottish dessert, Cranachan, which traditionally contains whiskey.

Basically, Cranachan is a parfait-like concoction of whipped heavy cream mixed with toasted oats, honey and whiskey, layered with fresh raspberries. It's simple and tasty, and just right for cupcake unbaking (it even layers like a parfait in cupcake form).

Since I'm not a whiskey fan, I just got a little heavy handed with my pure bourbon vanilla extract. To my surprise, it was stronger than I thought, but worked well for a nondrinker like me.

The best thing about this cupcake is that it gave me a chance to test out Sunwarrior's Warrior Blend (Warriors are "Brave") in something other than a smoothie or just mixed with some almond milk (which is so good, BTW; I think I like it better than the original Sunwarrior rice protein powder). I finally got around to trying it, after I saw a blog post on The Real Food Runner Blog, mentioning the fact that Sunwarrior is kind enough to send samples to those who request them via e-mail. Thanks Katherine (whose current post is a Magic Bullet Blender giveaway) for the tip, and thank you Sunwarrior for sending me a sample of all three Warrior Blend flavors (Vanilla, Chocolate and Natural).


Anyway, enough for the intro; let's get to that cupcake recipe:


My "Brave"
little Rawdorable
Cranachan Cupcake

*Makes one Rawdorable cupcake, inspired by the "Brave" episode of "Cupcake Champions;" must include oats
  • 1/4 cup almonds
  • 1/4 cup oats, plus an extra 1 Tbsp. of oats to add after grinding for texture
  • 1 Tbsp. Sunwarrior Warrior Blend in Vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp. date paste
  • 1/2 tsp. raw honey or 100% All-Natural Bee Free Honee
  • 1 tsp. pure bourbon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. organic raw apple cider vinegar
  • dash of sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp. broken up raspberries, fresh or frozen
  • *"Butterdream" or whipped canned coconut milk "cream" for topping, mixed with pure bourbon vanilla extract, raw honey or 100% All-Natural Bee Free Honee, and oats, to taste (I mixed about 1/2 tsp. pure bourbon vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp. honee and 1/2 to 1 Tbsp. of oats into 1/4 cup of whipped canned coconut milk "cream," although I didn't use all of it on the cupcake)
  • Fresh or frozen raspberries for layering and garnish

In a mini food processor or blender, grind the almonds, oats and protein powder into a flour-like consistency, and transfer the "flour" to a bowl.

Next, add the extra 1 Tbsp. of oats, date paste, honey or honee, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, and sea salt. Whisk to combine (a whisk helps keep the "batter" fluffier). The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire). Reserve a sprinkling of the "batter" to garnish your finished cupcake.

Stir in the broken raspberry pieces, and then form the batter into a cupcake shape, using a reusable silicone cupcake liner or small ramekin.

Slice off the top of the cupcake and set to the side, while you place a dollop of the "butterdream" or whipped canned coconut milk "cream" (allow a can of coconut milk to set unshaken in the fridge until chilled and the "cream" has separated to the top. Remove the "cream" and whip to a fluffy consistency) mixture and some berries on the bottom half of the cupcake. Place the cupcake top back over the berries and "cream" layer, and add another layer of berries and "cream" on top of it.

Garnish with some reserved cupcake crumbs and a raspberry (I also made an arrow out of a toothpick with more reserved batter pressed onto the ends, in the spirit of the movie, "Brave"). Enjoy!