Friday, September 7, 2012

A Perfectly Fit Red Velvet Cupcake

As you know, I had a blast following Tone It Up's Beach Week plan. It's been fun meeting members of the TIU community online and supporting each other. I just love the positivity.

During Beach Week, Karena and Katrina had several contests and prizes. I didn't win anything, but I'm still proud of my accomplishments. They actually have a contest going on right now (it ends today) to make something with their Perfect Fit protein, which could be described as art. That's right up my alley, although I'm not on Instagram.

My favorite artistic outlet is making my Rawdorable cupcakes. I haven't made one in a while, so this was perfect timing. I needed to used up what was left of the enormous beet I had juiced part of yesterday (I made a juice from the TIU Beach Babe edition, and blended it with Perfect Fit protein and a frozen banana. Surprisingly, it tasted and looked like a chocolate drink), and found some date paste in my freezer (I always have some on hand in there for raw vegan cupcake emergencies).

The end result was a tasty Rawdorable cupcake that is sure to be K&K approved. It is nut-free and gluten-free, lighter than my usual Rawdorable cupcakes and contains some Perfect Fit protein, too. Maybe I'll have to tweet it, even if I'm not fully following the rules.

Here's how I made it:
 

Rawdorable Perfectly Fit
Red Velvet Cupcake for One

*Makes one small cupcake for when cravings strike :-)

  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup finely grated beets (I used a microplane; it should resemble cranberry applesauce, as you can see in the photo to the right)
  • 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp. Perfect Fit protein
  • 1 Tbsp. date paste (dates soaked overnight and then blended into a paste)
  • 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. organic raw apple cider vinegar
  • dash of sea salt
  • *"Butterdream" or whipped canned coconut milk "cream" for frosting
  • *a thinly sliced fresh beet "heart" for garnish

In a mini food processor or blender, grind the coconut flour, finely grated beets, cocoa powder and protein powder into a flour-like consistency, and transfer the "flour" to a bowl.

Next, add the date paste, vanilla, apple cider vinegar and sea salt. Whisk to combine (a whisk helps keep the "batter" fluffier). The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire).
  
Form the batter into a cupcake shape, using a reusable silicone cupcake liner or small ramekin. Frost the cupcake with either "butterdream" or whipped canned coconut milk "cream" (allow a can of coconut milk to set unshaken in the fridge until chilled and the "cream" has separated to the top. Remove the "cream" and whip to a fluffy consistency).

Garnish with a thinly sliced fresh beet "heart." Enjoy!

*****
 
Have a lovely weekend :-)