Friday, March 29, 2013

Pink pastels

This is just a simple recipe (inspired by this Cupcakes and Cashmere blog post) Hayden and I made a while back, but I never got around to posting it. I thought the pretty pink pastel color would be perfect for Spring, not to mention the Easter weekend.

You may have noticed that I haven't been entirely raw for a while now, although I still tend to eat a rather high raw diet (I often regret naming my blog something with "raw" in it, as I don't want it to define me or my blog; I obviously have other interests, as well). Some days are all raw, while others are raw until dinner, etc. For example, this recipe doesn't require any cooking, but it isn't really raw either. It's just a fun treat to eat.


To make these strawberry smooth and melties, Hayden and I flavored some whipped coconut cream with finely ground freeze-dried strawberries. The freeze-dried strawberries were ground into a powder using my Tribest personal blender.

The coconut cream was made by placing an unshaken can of full-fat organic coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight. Then, we removed the cream that separated to the top of the can, placed it in a mixing bowl and whipped it like whipped cream. We added the ground freeze-dried strawberries to the coconut whipped cream, along with some pure vanilla extract (you can also add some of your favorite sweetener at this point), and whipped it some more.


We kept adding the powdered strawberries until we were happy with the color and flavor. Isn't it a pretty shade of pink?


Lastly, Hayden helped me pipe out star shapes of the strawberry coconut whipped cream onto a piece parchment, which we placed in the freezer until firm. Once set, they are a semi-sweet smooth and melty treat, perfect for a few small bites or as a decoration on a Rawdorable cupcake. Yum!

Anyway, I should be receiving this month's Eco Emi soon, so that will probably be my next post, if I opt to post about it. My kids are on Spring Break right now, which means I'm taking a break, too. Enjoy your weekend :-)