Wednesday, December 30, 2015

"Do good, look great" with Flynn & King

During my time on Instagram, I've met some very talented people and have been offered opportunities to try products made by small businesses in small batches (these products are all about quality, rather than quantity). For example, I was lucky enough to be contacted a few weeks ago by two lovely ladies, who sent me their natural skincare creations.

Corina McDonnell and Summer Dinh Manske (I totally snagged this photo from their website, because I think it's so cute) are the founders of Flynn & King, "a small company based in Brooklyn, NY, committed to creating an all natural, organic and multi-functional skincare and lifestyle collection for gender neutral use," as stated on their site. In their words, "We are conscious of everything we do, from the sourcing and quality of our ingredients to the packaging of our products. We are an ever evolving brand that not only respects and values our earth and the inhabitants in it, but is driven by and designed by our modern lifestyles. Growing with our Do Good Collaborations, our perpetual journey of goodwill through a variety of projects, we work with organizations to find ways to give back to our community."

These ladies use only the best natural, organic, sustainable and wild-crafted ingredients (all the ingredients in their products are clearly typed out on their site) to hand-make their products in small batches without chemicals, cheap fillers and preservatives. They even make sure their packaging is recyclable and refillable.  

Since I love how Corina and Summer sum up their brand, here's one last quote: "At Flynn & King, we believe eco-conscious and style-conscious don’t have to be mutually exclusive ideas. Nor should they be “exclusive” ideas. We strive to not only supply you with natural products, but to educate on the attributes and properties of our ingredients and inspire others to roll up their sleeves and get their hands...clean. We think every product and every person has the power to: Do good. Look great."

Now that you know a little more about the brand, can you see why I said yes to sampling some of their favorite products from the line? Of course you do :)

I was sent the Revive Oil-Based Cleanser with Argan and Rosehip Oils, Balance Facial Toner with Aloe and Rose Geranium, Replenish All Over Dry Oil with Kukui Nut and Argan Oils, and Detox Neem and Activated Charcoal Soap. The cleanser, toner and dry oil all came in these simple, yet practical glass containers that can be reused/refilled.

Lately, I've been starting my daily skincare routine with the Revive Oil-Based Cleanser, although the first time I tried these products, I accidentally cleansed my face with the dry oil (more about that in a minute). It has a very natural scent that is quite gender neutral. It's a very moisturizing, creamy oil cleanser that easily removes all traces of my makeup and does not bother my eyes. Although it doesn't foam like some cleansers, I still feel like it deep cleans my pores and keeps my skin clear (must be the tea tree oil in it).

After cleansing, I've been balancing my skin with you guessed it, the Balance Facial Toner. It has a sweet, mildly floral fragrance that even the most manly man can rock with confidence. I like to apply it with a cotton round to ensure I removed all my makeup with the cleanser (the cotton round never shows any signs of leftover dirt and makeup, so I know that cleanser is working). This toner is truly balancing, as it contains witch hazel to tighten and diminish pores; patchouli, Melissa and Rosewood essential oils to control pore clogging bacteria and balance oil production; and aloe leaf juice and rose geranium hydrosol to replenish and moisturize the skin. It's exactly what my mature, but with an occasional teenage breakout, skin needs.

I've been following up the toner with the Replenish All-Over Dry Oil as my moisturizer. Since I'm used to oil cleansers, I accidentally used this dry oil as both my cleanser and moisturizer on my first day. I can honestly say that it works great for both, although it does not deep clean as well as the actual cleanser. Being that it is a dry oil, it absorbs quickly, as long as you don't apply too much. I've even had success applying it in the daytime, prior to my makeup (I just wait a few minutes before putting on my makeup). This moisturizer keeps my skin soft all day and night, and it does not clog my pores. It also is great as an all-over dry oil, as the name suggests; you'll just need a bigger bottle :)

Lastly, I tried the Detox Neem and Activated Charcoal Soap on my face a couple of times, but found it a bit too drying for my mature skin. However, My teenage son enjoyed using it in the shower, mainly across the top of his back/shoulder area. It does help to keep his skin clear. Although my sample slice was sent in this cute chevron-striped paper bag, the full-size bar comes in an even more adorable reusable drawstring cloth bag.

All in all, I can give Flynn & King a very positive review and would recommend them to a friend. Thanks so much to Corina and Summer for sending their products :)

Have you tried Flynn & King? Let me know your thoughts on Twitter at @Rawdorable and/or Instagram (also @Rawdorable).

* Flynn & King sent me these products for review. All opinions are my own.