Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A raw baby shower?


Wouldn't that be wonderful? Mine wasn't all raw, but I was happy to find that my mom and sisters took it into consideration when planning the menu.

There were lots of raw veggies with fresh guacamole, tomato salsa and mango salsa, as well as bowls of summery fruits. They even remembered to get cherries, my biggest craving while pregnant with my son.

As for the cake and cookies, they were truly baked, but still a joy to see. Knowing my love of anything cupcake (I actually had a tier of cupcakes, as part of my wedding cake, prior to the trend), there were raspberry-filled vanilla cupcakes beautifully displayed on a tiered cake stand, which was topped with a mini chocolate cake (my mom made the cakes) and surrounded in a sea of onesie-shaped cookies.

I was so impressed with the cookies that I posted a pic of one in my last post and even challenged myself to make a raw version. As you can see, I think I succeeded (although I could've done better if I took my time).

Since the baked cookies were thick and soft, like cake, I opted to make my raw version similar to my raw cupcakes. I quickly made a flour out of a combination of raw nuts I had onhand and whipped up a simple cupcake batter.

I divided the batter in half, using the first portion to form a onsie-shaped cookie. Then, I put the cookie in the dehydrator to crisp a bit, while I shaped the other half into a cupcake.

Rather than filling the cake with a raspberry jelly (like the one I made for these jelly-filled donuts), I decided to keep it fresh with just a single strawberry. I figured it would be a nice surprise to find inside.

I iced the finished cupcake with a pink-tinted raw whipped icing (the same one I use for the majority of my cupcakes) and sprinkled it with some coconut flakes. Then, I topped it all off with the baby decoration used on the cake at my shower. Jacob just had to bring it home with us.

Once the cookie had "baked" a bit on the outside (I felt it important to keep it soft in the middle, like the original), I gave it a smooth coat of raw icing and decorated to look similar to the cookie from my shower. The results were so cute, I just had to share it with you.

Speaking of sharing, here is the recipe I used for the cake/cookie. Have fun trying it at home, whether it be for a truly raw shower or perhaps just to satisfy a sweet craving.


Raw Vanilla Cookie/Cupcake
1/2 cup almonds, ground into flour
1/4 cup cashews, ground into flour
1/4 cup macadamia nuts, ground into flour
1/4 cup coconut flakes, ground into flour
1/8 cup date paste
dash of vanilla
pinch of sea salt
*raw whipped icing for decorating
*more coconut flakes for sprinkling on top

*fresh strawberry or other surprise filling


In a small bowl, combine the nut flours and sea salt. Stir with a whisk or use an electric mixer.

Next, add the date paste and a touch of vanilla. Whisk/mix to combine. The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire).

Divide the batter in half to make two cupcakes, two cookies or a cupcake and a cookie (you could also make more mini versions instead). Form them into the appropriate shapes, and decorate to your hearts content.

*****

So, on a side note, I was wondering if anyone out there has had an entirely raw shower (I bet Helen from NaturalZing did, complete with some yummy raw pies for dessert). If so, what was on your menu?

Also, in case you forgot, make sure you vote for your favorite raw nominees in the 2009 VeggieAwards. Polls close at midnight on July 31.