Monday, September 19, 2011

100% Pure for your skin


The wait is over; I'm finally revealing my full review of the 100% Pure skincare products I mentioned in my last couple blog posts.

In case you missed it the first time, here's my initial reaction to the products. This was so spontaneous that I let Jacob film Hayden and I in the bathroom (talk about terrible lighting in there; no natural light) with my freshly washed face (not a trace of makeup and yikes! I'm in my pjs). The best part is when Hayden hits the camera with her bag full of samples. Too funny :-)



I had written to 100% Pure about their extensive line of products after discovering their website, www.100percentpure.com (the home page usually has some kind of weekly special deal, which is definitely worth checking out). In the past, I had purchased some 100% Pure makeup from www.oneluckyduck.com, but was blown away by all the other products sold on their actual site. From bath to body, head to toe, 100% Pure makes a product to suit your needs.

But, back to contacting the company. I just asked if they had any samples available of their other products to try. They responded rather quickly/kindly (gotta love good customer service), asking me specifically which products peaked my interest.

Now that was a dangerous question. Of course, I wanted to try it all. In the end, I narrowed it down to some things in the skincare line, as I've been wanting to experiment with a new facial regime.

When the box of samples arrived at my house (with a cute handwritten note; love it when real people take the time to do that), you can imagine my surprise (you can see it in my video reaction). It contained full-size products for me to try, including their Cucumber Juice Facial Cleansing Foam (for sensitive skin, like mine), Organic Acai Berry Antioxidant Facial Cream, Organic Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream and Organic Argan Oil. There were even a few sample packets of body lotion (you know; the sample size I was expecting).

I couldn't wait to try everything out. I almost immediately washed my face with the cleansing foam, and followed it up with the moisturizer and eye cream.

The Cucumber Juice Facial Cleansing Foam dispensed a light airy foam the feels like "nothing." Yes, I could tell it washed away dirt and makeup from my skin, but it didn't strip any of my essential oils. It also didn't leave a residue or tight feeling. My skin felt just as it should.

Usually, my sensitive skin gets a bit red and irritated by cleansers and other skincare products, and sometimes breaks out from sensitivity to the ingredients. I was pleasantly surprised by the calm, even skin tone left behind right after cleansing with this product, and the fact that my skin remained clear after more than a week (a week is my usual trial period when testing a skincare product) of use. I only experienced a slight bit of tightness over the past couple days, which is normal with the change of seasons (it's suddenly cooler and dryer around here).

As for the Organic Acai Berry Antioxidant Facial Cream, it hasn't irritated my skin a bit, nor has it clogged my pores (one of the reasons I haven't always been good about using a moisturizer regularly; I'm so glad I found this product when I needed it most). It's rich enough that I can tell it's doing its job, without feeling too heavy. It must mean it's penetrating my skin, just as it should.

This moisturizer is loaded with antioxidants, which I hope will help with anti-aging and perhaps even turn back the clock. But, as we all know, there's no magic potion for that. My fine lines are still slightly visible when close up. We'll see if they improve over time.

The Organic Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream hasn't gotten rid of my pesky crow's feet (you can tell that I smile a lot), but it is amazing for dark circles and just making this tired mommy look more awake. I don't drink coffee anymore, but I kind of like wearing it this way :-)

The texture of this eye cream is similar to the moisturizer. Although thicker than a lotion or gel, it doesn't feel heavy, as it absorbs easily into my skin (a good reason to use 100% pure ingredients, which of course the company does, hence the name).

Lastly, I used a little of the
Organic Argan Oil on my cheeks, where I have some sun damage. I haven't noticed a difference in the discoloration, but at least it didn't make my skin breakout.

I did find that the argan oil is great for my hair. I'm in desperate need of a haircut. When I apply the oil to my ends, they look fresh again. It also helps combat frizz. I even used it on Hayden, who sometimes gets a case of "cotton candy hair" (seriously, it resembles that stuff when her curls get out of control).

Another place I applied argan oil was to my cuticles and nails. It's so nourishing to my nails that need it more than ever, as I've been painting them recently (I love Priti polishes).

As a whole, I'm definitely a fan of 100% Pure. The products are all-natural and vegetarian (most are vegan), and some are specifically marked gluten-free. Even the fragrances used are real.

For example, my cleanser had a slight hint of cucumber, only because it really contains cucumber juice (which is the first ingredient on its list, too). The same was true for the eye cream; it had a light coffee scent due to the coffee extract in it, that was a key ingredient in the effectiveness of the product. Don't worry; the coffee smell is not overpowering. I just have a good sniffer :-)

I have yet to use the body cream packets, but I really want to save them for something special. I might even put them on Hayden, who wants the "girlie girl" bath products on the site (they smell like ice cream. Yum! I hope they don't mine that I snagged this pic of one of the kid-friendly gift sets from their site).

Anyway, if you're considering trying 100% Pure, I do recommend it. Let me know what you think, too.

On another note, I was excited to get my new fashionable "mommy bag" in the mail. Thanks to Girlie Girl Army (love that site!) and Kaight (this NY-based shop has some really cute fashions), I won this amazing vegan Collina Strada purse. I got to pick which one from the line I wanted. Thank you! (btw, Kaight shipped it to me in a protective reusable fabric bag with a handwritten note, as well; you know how much I like those).

I selected this one for its interesting shape, pattern (the material has a visually stimulating, multi-dimensional print) and design (I like how the soft vegan faux leather is layered horizontally over the diagonal print).

First, I tried taking my own photo in the mirror, while sporting this fun design. But, in the end, I recruited my son Jacob to take a pic of me with the bag and little Hayden, much like this photo of Chloe Jo with her little one (she looks incredible, right?). My attempt shows off the bag more, but the latter highlights my other fashionable accessory (my little lady, as well as my 100% Pure skin).

Tucked in my bag is a book I received in the mail to review. Here's a quick look at the cover. I'll be toting it around to read when I get the chance. I'll post my thoughts about it in the future.