Saturday, September 10, 2011

Vegan fishtails

Most of the time this blog is food-related, but occasionally, I just post what I feel like at the time.

For example, here's what Hayden and I did today (I guess I could have involved Matthew and Jacob, too, but although they both have enough hair for this, neither would let me try it on them).

The two of us are girlie girls and we like to play dress up and do our hair, etc. Now that Hayden has some length, I can test out more styles on her than ever before.

A lot of our inspiration comes from the beauty department website, like the ballerina bun I sported in my Hot Raw Chef 5 in 5 video (although my hair isn't quite long enough to give the desired effect). In my last post, I tried my best to give Hayden something similar on her head.

Today, I attempted a fishtail braid (no fish were harmed in the making of this fishtail on this vegan head) for the first time on myself (the tutorial on thebeautydepartment.com really makes it easy to do) and then on Hayden. Mine didn't photograph as well as it looks in person, and I'm just lucky to get a braid in Hayden's hair (hers looks more like this style). Still, I thought it was cute enough to share.

Speaking of cute enough to share. Hayden has always loved getting "pretty pretty," as she calls it, with her mommy. I can't believe it's been a year since this photo and natural beauty post.


So, what hairstyles is everyone else doing these days? What are your favorite looks (and natural products, too)?

On another note, happy birthday to Sarma of One Lucky Duck today and to my mom tomorrow. It's nice to have something to celebrate on a day when we'll be remembering something so sad.