Thursday, January 31, 2013

Did somebody say "National Hot Chocolate Day?"

Hey, did you hear that it's National Hot Chocolate Day? I believe I saw a few tweets about it today, so of course, the kids and I had to celebrate. They had our usual hot cocoa (I reposted the video of Hayden and I making it the other day), and later, I whipped up this quick superfood version. I just put some warm almond milk, along with the following ingredients in my Tribest, and soon found myself sipping on this intense cacao concoction. It's not very sweet, but it satisfied my hot chocolate craving.

Spontaneous Superfood Hot Chocolate
  • 1 1/2 cups warm almond milk
  • 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp. raw cacao powder (for some reason I think the cocoa and raw cacao powders together is an interesting combo)
  • 1 tsp. lucuma powder
  • 1 tsp. maca powder
  • 1 tsp. spirulina
  • cinnamon and ginger, to taste
Put all the ingredients in a personal-size blender. Blend until combined and frothy. Pour into a mug and enjoy!

*These are estimated measurements, as I basically just tossed them in my blender on the fly. Feel free to adjust to your taste and add your favorite natural sweetener, if necessary. You can also add rice protein or a protein blend like Vega, Amazing Grasses Amazing Meal, etc.

 *****

Speaking of protein hot chocolate, the Tone It Up girls have a good recipe worth trying. I'm also wondering if one of the chocolate products I received in my latest Eco Emi would work well in a hot chocolate. I've got a lot more winter days ahead of me to find out.

Who else is staying warm with some yummy hot chocolate?