Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Conquering 5 in 5


Today I faced my fears head on: 1. overcoming stage fright (or in this case, camera shyness), 2. my clumsiness in the kitchen, 3. lack of demonstration experience (you couldn't pay me to do this in the past), 4. less than adequate video/editing knowledge and 5. the challenge to whip up 5 ingredients into a delicious raw recipe in 5 minutes or less. Well, sort of ...

In my last post, I mentioned the thought of entering the Hot Raw Chef 5 in 5 contest and how I feared the idea of video taping myself. Since then, I decided to conquer that fear and give it a shot. You never know what you're capable of until you try.

Anyway, my attempt happened quite spontaneously when I discovered that my trusty camera had a video function. Was it a sign? I don't know, but I quickly set up all my ingredients on the kitchen table (for my old school favorite quick and easy raw banana split), moved it closer to the electric socket (so I could use the food processor there), positioned my camera on the adjacent counter, hit record and just went for it. The only thing scripted was the required lines at the end that I ended up flubbing anyway. Oops, must have been my nerves.

The final video is slightly longer than intended (it should be 5 minutes or less, but mine is 5 minutes 55 seconds, although I think the actual recipe took 5 minutes). I have no plans of trying it again, so we'll see if it's accepted.



In the end, I mainly was doing this for me (and Hayden, who happily shared the finished recipe with me. Yum!). It's nice to challenge yourself from time to time, as well as those around you. With that in mind, I think my blogging friend Samantha "Rawkin Mom" should also tape her entry. I know she can do it, too :-)

BTW, here are some extra pics of our photo session today. We had fun goofing around for our photographer, who just happened to be my son, Jacob.