Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Cider Donuts Rule


There I go again, stealing a line (or in this case a title) from a movie/book, and altering it to suit my own blogging needs. Shame on me; I just couldn't help myself.

Just like when it came to making these apple cider donuts, which I mentioned the possibility of whipping up a couple posts ago. I just had to have them.

So, I did some modifying to one of my own creations (you may remember these donuts; pan down to the plain recipe), and came up with this delectable third of a dozen (I didn't want to get carried away; in my none raw days, I could eat a box of 12 donuts myself in one sitting). I ate two of them yesterday, just dressed in some powdered lucuma, coconut and cinnamon, although I had hoped to present them in a more decadent fashion.

If I'm lucky enough to borrow my mom's Blendtec, I still might be able to gussy up the other two, like Hearth restaurant in New York City's East Village. I've never been there myself, but an old article in the Washington Post mentions how the establishment serves its glazed cider donuts with applesauce and whipped cream. Now that's good eating.

So, why haven't I been able to blend up some creamy topping for my "unbaked" goods? I have a Blendtec, too, right?

Of course I do, but I didn't realize how spoiled I've been with it until now. You see, yesterday morning my Blendtec ate its rubber gasket, but if you want to get more specific, it actually chewed it up and spit it out all over my countertop. There was barely a trace left on the bottom of the blending jar. What was I to do?

Luckily, I finished making what might be my last green smoothie for a while before the devastation occurred. I quickly poured it into a glass and headed over to the computer in hopes of finding a quick fix (and no, I'm not talking about raw chocolate).

To my dismay, I couldn't find a replacement part, only an option to purchase an entirely new blending jar for a ridiculous price. My impulsiveness was ready to make the transaction on the spot and opt for overnight shipping, but the in the end, I decided to hopefully save a little dough and see if my father-in-law can fix it (anyone ever try this?).

So, speaking of dough, here is the recipe for the donuts, minus the sauce and cream. They actually don't need it, although that combination would've made for a more impressive photo. Instead, I'll give you a few extra shots of these unhidden gems. They really shine on their own (and they are definitely easier on the eyes than a messed up blender).


Rawpple Cider Donuts
3/4 cup almonds, finely ground
1/4 cup cashews, finely ground
1/4 cup coconut, finely ground
1/4 cup oats, ground into flour
1 Tbsp. lucuma
1 Tbsp. mesquite
1/4 cup dehydrated apple slices
1 1/2 Tbsp. grade B maple syrup
1 tsp. organic apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
cinnamon
nutmeg
dash of sea salt

In a food processor, combine almonds, cashews, coconut, oats, lucuma and mesquite. Add dried apple, maple syrup, ACV, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt. Process to form a dough.

Shape the dough into 4 donut shapes. Dehydrate 2-3 hours per side to firm up the outside, but keep the inside soft.

When finished "baking" but still warm, you can either coat the donuts in a mixture of more finely ground coconut, lucuma and cinnamon, and/or frost them with maple icing like the topping I used in this We Like It Raw recipe. Yum!