Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween has finally arrived


Today is my last Halloween post, mainly due to the fact that it is Halloween, not to mention how I've overloaded all of you with treats in the past couple weeks. You must be trick-or-treated out.

But wouldn't you know, my son still wants to go out and show off his costume (he is Rodan from Godzilla, although he understands when the other kids think he's just any other pterodactyl) in my mom and dad's neighborhood. Therefore, we'll still be chilling (literally; it's cold out there) and going door to door with the other little ghosts, goblins and whatever is popular this season (someone told me Iron Man is the man this year, but I have yet to see one).

Before we head out this evening, I wanted to give you a recipe requested by one of my readers. Lena had been searching for some of my recipes, although I hadn't posted them all. Since she commented on the witch cupcake post (and you'll probably have some leftover pumpkins after tonight. Check out the pumpkin Jacob designed and carved himself; it's Rodan, of course), I thought it only fitting that I offer up this Pumpkin Spice Cupcake recipe. Here you go:


Raw Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
2 cups nut flour
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1/4-1/2 cup raw pumpkin puree
1/4-1/2 cup date paste
generous drizzles of agave, to taste
1/2 tsp. vanilla
pumpkin pie spice, to taste
dash of sea salt

In a large bowl, combine the nut flour (a mixture of finely ground nuts of your choice combined with leftover nut pulp from making your favorite nut milk; I find that adding some fresh nuts to the nut pulp makes it taste better, while the nut pulp provides a lighter texture), coconut flakes, pumpkin pie spice and sea salt. Stir with a whisk or use an electric mixer.

Next, add about 1/4 cup of the pumpkin puree (just blend raw pumpkin chunks in a high-speed blender. Believe me; you'll need a powerful model to do the job, unless you use the "guts" instead of the flesh), 1/4 cup of the date paste and the vanilla. Whisk/mix, paying close attention to the consistency of the batter. Add agave to taste, and more of the pumpkin puree and date paste as needed. Whisk/mix to combine. The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire).

Divide the batter into 3 or 4 equal amounts and gently mold into cupcake shapes (use a tender touch as if you are making vegan meatballs; you want your cupcakes to have a bit of a crumb effect). Top with your favorite raw icing (I like this one on the Sunny Raw Kitchen blog) and whatever decoration you can imagine or have on hand. Chill in your fridge until ready to eat.

Happy Halloween!