Wednesday, December 17, 2008

All dressed up with some place to go


To the annual family cookie exchange, of course. I just had to make sure at least one of my raw creations sparked some interest from my nonraw family members.

By adding a decorative touch to an otherwise ordinary raw cookie, this unbaked good garners the attention it deserves. So, Little Bird, this one is for you.

It's a raw version of an eggnog cookie, which reminds me of the raw ginger creams I made last year. It has a soft base and a creamy icing, just like the ginger creams, but nutmeg is its star ingredient (rather than ginger). I'd like to call them Raw Nog Creams

Raw Nog Creams
1 cup cashew flour (ground cashews)
1/2 cup almond flour (ground almonds)
1/4 cup date paste
freshly ground nutmeg, to taste
pinch of sea salt
*raw whipped icing for frosting
*dried cherry pieces and pumpkin seeds for decorating

In a bowl, whisk together the cashew flour, almond flour, nutmeg and sea salt. Add the date paste, and mix to combine. The mixture should be damp enough to mold, yet still crumbly like a cake.

Divide the mixture into 6-8 equal sections. Shape each section into a ball and flatten into cookie shapes. Frost with raw whipped icing and decorate with dried cherry pieces and pumpkin seeds.

*These are similar to many of my raw cupcake recipes. Feel free to make them a little larger and serve them as such.

**If you really want to kick these up a notch, add some rum or rum extract to the icing, but I prefer mine rum-free.