Thursday, December 18, 2008

Hawaiian Wedding Surprise

Don't jumped to conclusions after reading that title. I didn't run away to Hawaii to get married. I'm already married, but I'd love to go to Hawaii with my hubby one day.

In the meantime, I'll just celebrate the holidays with the last unbaked good in my trio of cookie swap offerings. It is a festive spin on last year's Russian Raw Cake, which is a rawified Russian Tea Cake/Mexican Wedding Cake cookie (I've heard it referred to by both names).

I got this idea while flipping through a magazine recently. There was a recipe for a Hawaiian Wedding Cake cookie, much like the traditional Mexican Wedding Cake version, but with the addition of macadamia nuts, coconut flakes and lime.

I opted to add those same ingredients to my original recipe, as well as a surprise inside. Read further to find out what it is.

Hawaiian Wedding Surprises
3/4 cup cashews
1/4 cup macadamia nuts
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1/4 cup date paste
1 Tbsp. lucuma powder
zest of one lime
dash of sea salt
*finely ground coconut and more zest for rolling
*eight whole raw macadamia nuts for filling

Grind cashews, mac nuts, oats and coconut into flour and add to a bowl. Whisk together the flours, lucuma, lime zest and sea salt. Add the date paste, and mix to combine. The mixture should be damp enough to mold, yet still crumbly like a cake.

Divide the mixture into 8 equal sections. Shape each section into a ball, while enclosing a whole mac nut inside (that's the surprise). Roll the balls in coconut and lime zest. Enjoy :-)