Friday, January 20, 2012

Live on Blythe Raw


If you're not familiar with Blythe Raw Live, you may have wondered how to pronounce the "Live" in the title of today's blog post. Well, this "live" refers to a web show that's filmed as you watch it. However, it could also be a reference to live raw foods and an overall natural, healthy way of living.



I first discovered the show, as clips on the Vega Community website. I remember seeing host Blythe Metz, and the rest of the crew in the studio, demonstrating a mango peel face and body treatment, which had my daughter and I giggling the whole time. They just make living a green life fun.

Before I knew it, I was tuning into the live web cast every Friday afternoon, anxious to see what they'd do next. From informative guests, tasty recipes, DIY beauty, eco-friendly products and more, there's never a dull moment on that show.

Lucky for me, Blythe Raw Live is featuring my blog as its website of the week today, so don't forget to tune in to the first 10 minutes of the show (and I'm sure you'll continue watching until the end after that). Blythe was also kind enough to do a quick Q&A for those of you new to the show and site. Check it out below:


Q: What does "raw" mean to you? How and why did you start Blythe Raw/Blythe Raw Live?

A: "LIVE foods are the key to me feeling my best. I don't feel I have to eat 100% raw foods , but if I get really busy and am eating more cooked foods then normal, I definitely feel more cooked.

"We started Blythe Raw Live as an educational tool and a platform to build a health and wellness brand that can improve the lives of all, as well as our planet."

Q: What have been your favorite moments on the show, products, guests, recipes, etc.?

A: "It's hard to pick favorites. I've been really moved by many of my guests, and I've learned something from all of them.

"As far as favorite moments, I have to say, when my sound guy comes on set to adjust my mic, live during the show, mid-sentence. It was a totally unexpected entrance, but he's a funny guy, so it was funny to me. Live TV is always ~ whatever happens, happens."

Q: How did you and Aarica Ann team up for the show? Do you hang out off camera? (I figured I'd ask, since the two of you seem like good friends).

A: "Great question. Aarica is a perfect fit for our chat person. She happens to be the producer's girlfriend, but it wasn't him pitching her for the show. After she filled in, in a pinch, early in season 1, the entire team knew she was exactly what we needed. I'm lucky she makes herself available each week to do it."

Q: Tell us a bit about your site and online store.

A: " On www.BlytheRaw.com, you will find the full 1-hour weekly show archives, as well as cut separated clips of each of the 5-min. recipes and the interviews. We have a Kitchen Recipes page for written recipes, and a Bath Recipes page for our raw beauty treatment recipes.

"Also on the site, we have 2 separate stores, B Shop HOME and B Shop Body. In the BODY shop, you will find our 100% organic and wildcrafted essential oils and body butters. I encourage people to read about the many tremendous benefits of high quality essential oil. They are my medicine entirely.

"In the HOME shop, you will find our organic cotton shopping system, designed to help you decrease your kitchen garbage by 90%, and my 2 books, available for instant download for $9.99."

Q: Why should my readers tune in today? (as in Friday, Jan. 20, 2010)

A: "I'm so excited to share with people your RAWSOME cupcake recipes! Your recipes are a perfect example of how we don't have to give up any wonderful indulgence for health.

"Also on the show, I will be making my Beauty Soup and Jungle Peanut Salad. Ed Begley Jr. will be on this Friday's show, with his tremendous resource guide for greening up your home. I'm so grateful for his books; he does the research for you. Also, tune in to learn the power of Holy Basil, a kiwi face lift and a special promotion for our rose essential oil."

*****

Thanks so much, Blythe, for answering my questions (complimenting my raw cupcakes) and featuring my blog as the website of the week. To watch today's episode, go to http://www.ustream.tv/blytheraw at noon on the U.S. West Coast (3 p.m. if you live on the East Coast, like me), or click on the video below (it will be also be posted on www.BlytheRaw.com in the video archives 1 hour after it airs). Enjoy your weekend! :-)


Streaming video by Ustream
*****

Oh, and since Blythe was sweet enough to tweet about making my Rawtess Cupcakes, here's the "blast-from-the-past" recipe:


Rawtess Cupcakes
(a.k.a. Creme-filled
Choco-Cupcakes)

*Makes 3 generously full-size cupcakes, like the ones your mama might have packed in your old-school lunch :-)
  • 2 cups nut "flour" (see explanation in recipe text below)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4-1/2 cup date paste
  • 2-4 Tbsp. coconut milk
  • generous drizzles of agave nectar (or other liquid sweetener), to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • dash of sea salt
  • *a batch of raw whipped icing
  • *quick and easy chocolate icing
In a large bowl, combine the nut flour (a mixture of finely ground nuts of your choice combined with leftover nut pulp from making your favorite nut milk; I like using finely ground almonds, mixed with a little hazelnut and Brazil nut pulp), cocoa powder (use the raw cocoa powder if you can get it, which is not the same thing as just grinding up some cacao nibs) and sea salt. Stir with a whisk or use an electric mixer.

Next, add about 1/4 cup of the date paste (dates soaked overnight and blended into a paste), 2 Tbsp. of the coconut milk (although any thickened nut milk will do; I bet Brazil nut milk would be lovely in this) and the vanilla. Whisk/mix, paying close attention to the consistency of the batter. Add agave to taste, and more of the date paste and coconut milk as needed. Whisk/mix to combine. The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire).

Divide the batter into 3 sections to make life-size cupcakes (these are not the one-bite mini muffin kind), and remove a few pinches of dough from each one. Form the three sections into cupcake shapes, leaving a melon ball size valley in the center. Fill the cupcakes with raw whipped icing and top them of with the excess dough. Carefully blend in the seams.

Ice the cupcakes with a quick and easy chocolate icing (agave or other liquid sweetener, such as pure maple syrup, thickened with cocoa powder to reach the desired consistency). Allow to set in your refrigerator. Then, pipe a swirl across the top with more of the whipped icing (you can use a squeeze bottle, if you don't own piping bags and tips). Enjoy every last bite :-)

*****

And, if you're avoiding chocolate, you can make them with carob powder, or try my individual-size lemon version:


Lemon Rawtess Cupcake
(a.k.a. Creme-filled
Lemony Cupcake)

*Makes one full-size cupcake for those times when you just want what everyone else is having. Feel free to make a larger batch, if needed :-)
  • 1/4 cup cashews
  • 1/4 cup coconut flakes
  • zest from half a lemon
  • dash of sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp. date paste
  • touch of vanilla
  • raw whipped icing (use this whipped cream recipe)
In a food processor, combine the cashews, coconut flakes, lemon zest and sea salt. Process these ingredients into a flour-like consistency, and transfer the "flour" to a bowl.

Next, add the date paste and a touch of vanilla (I love the combination of lemon and vanilla in "unbaked" goods). Whisk or use an electric mixer to combine. The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire).

Form the batter into a cupcake shape, leaving a melon ball size valley in the center and a small amount to the side to top it off. Fill the cupcake with raw whipped icing and top it with the excess dough. Carefully blend in the seams.

Ice the cupcake with a more of the raw whipped icing (I added a little lemon juice to mine for flavor, as well as some turmeric to create the yellow color). Then, pipe a swirl across the top with more of the whipped icing (you can use a squeeze bottle, if you don't own piping bags and tips). Enjoy!

*BTW, raw vegan cupcakes are not meant to be an all-day, everyday food. They are still a special treat, so don't forget to fill up on fresh produce, especially greens :-)