Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Give us a cheer!

Hi everyone. I've been so busy lately that I have to apologize for not commenting back in a timely fashion (since I started this blog, I've made a point of commenting back to just about everyone who takes the time to say something at the end of my posts). I'll make sure to do that asap, but tonight I'll be busy viewing Hayden's dance class (we're allowed to watch tonight. I'm so excited to cheer her on!).

Anywho, before I go, I wanted to post this month's Eco Emi DIY while we are still in July. As you know, I make a DIY project out of the extra decoration in all my Eco Emi boxes (here's January, February, March, April, May and June), so this month is no exception (especially when Christine was nice enough to mention it on the Eco Emi site).


This month, I didn't have any confetti or fun crinkled material, but I did have the usual tissue paper. Most of the time I save it for wrapping gifts, which always works. Since it was my main material to use this month, I decided to make it the star of the project.

Hayden loved the poms at Vacation Bible School this summer, so I decided to make her a pair of her own in her size. All I needed was the tissue paper from my July Eco Emi, two unsharpened pencils (Jacob always gets them in goodie bags from friends), scissors and some tape (I used the gold duck tape leftover from this DIY bracelet project).

To start, I cut the black tissue into two equal-size pieces, similar to the size and shape of the two pieces of red tissue paper from the box. I folded the black tissue paper in half lengthwise, leaving just about 1/2 inch showing from beneath the top fold. Then, I cut the paper into thin strips, being careful not to cut that 1/2 inch exposed area. I was left with the perfect fringe from making the poms.

I did the same thing with the red paper and lined it up with the black fringe to wrap it around the eraser end of the pencil, taping as I wrapped it. Repeat with the other pencil and fringed tissue paper.

The result was two cute little poms. They are fun for cheering on the home team. Hayden has been chanting "U.S.A.," while we watch the Olympics, as well as cheering me on throughout Charissa's July Colourful Smoothie Challenge.



Speaking of the smoothie challenge, today is the last day, so the results will be out soon. Fingers crossed that I win. I even used the stretchy red ribbon from this month's Eco Emi box to tie a bow around my finger like a cute ring for luck or a reminder to post my last smoothie, which I did, BTW. I'm not sure if that's what I want to do for the DIY with that one, though, because I'm thinking about either using it for a hair-tie or to make a crafty headband, like the ones Lauren Conrad recently blogged/vlogged about. Love it! What would you do with this stretchy red band?

Okay, I'm running out of time before I have to go. Here are the last smoothies I tweeted, just in case you wanted to know.


I made a Tone It Up Perfect Fit Protein Blueberry Pancake Batter Shake. If you veganize the pancake batter with flax "eggs," and add extra almond milk and frozen banana, it make a yummy shake. The frozen wild blueberries I folded in reminded me of drinking bubble tea, the coconut cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top was a nice touch.

I also made Charissa's Avocado and Flax Smoothie she posted on the Fab Food site. I highly recommend all three avocado smoothies she posted on that site.

My last smoothie of the challenge was Charissa's Berry Green Smoothie that I photographed with my Troll doll in front of it. He likes to be green, too. I've actually had him for years. Can you believe I saved my arcade tickets up to get him one summer?

This summer is nearly over. Gonna keep enjoying every last minute of it. Hope you all are doing the same :-)