Sunday, July 1, 2012

I didn't forget to DIY

Don't worry; I didn't forget to do a DIY with my June Eco Emi box (if you missed it, here's what I made in January, February, March, April and May). However, instead of making something to wear over and over again, I went with something more temporary.

I don't paint my nails all that often, but I do from time to time. When I do, it's nice to make them special, like these flower designs. I actually used the dried flowers from my Eco Emi box and applied them to my nails with clear polish.

Basically, I painted a light coat of a pale lilac color (I used Priti polish in Glory Bush) as the base, and before it had time to dry, adhered some of the flower petals to my nails with the wet polish. Then, I trimmed the excess and applied a layer of clear polish.

Next, I added some pearly centers to the petals with a pale shade of polish (I used Zoya polish in Minka), followed by two more coats of the clear. The results were pretty sweet, if I say so myself. 

I only wore the design for about 24 hours, but it held up quite well during that time. The petals did start to turn a coppery shade after a while, although it seemed to go well with the purple background.

Oh, and since this post involved hand shots, I was finally able to show off the ring my hubby gave me recently (I picked it out). It's this Kristin Coffin ring we found on Etsy. Wish you could see the twig design better in my pic (and that I shined it up first; obviously, I'm wearing it all the time), but you get the idea. Love that she uses recycled metals and conflict-free stones.

Anyway, you can see the beach waves hairstyle I've been sporting lately. I actually make my own beach waves spray out of about a cup of warm water, 2 or 3 Tbsp. of sea salt and some 100% Pure argan oil (it's best to come up with your own amount with the argan oil, based on your hair type; I used about 10 or 12 pumps, as my hair can have a tendency to look dirty and stringy if I use too much).

My hubby is making fun of me, while I type this. He calls this my "Blue Lagoon" hair, since we watched "Return to the Blue Lagoon" recently. We are still laughing at the fact that we took the time to watch a movie with a one-star rating. I think I only watched it the first time when it originally came out, because I wanted hair like Milla Jovovich.

I guess beach hair was a good idea this weekend, due to the fact that it was 100 degrees and our power went out (there was a terrible storm on the East Coast that left lots of people without power; we're so lucky it is back now). It led me to get creative in the kitchen, finding ways to make some of my blended favorites without use of a blender.

I know it looks gross, but I mushed all the ingredients for Brendan Brazier's recovery pudding in a cup, similar to Kristen's Hemp Banana Smash from her Kristen Suzanne's Ultimate Raw Vegan Hemp Recipes e-book (Lucky me won three e-books of my choice; thanks Kristen!). It tasted good, so that's what really matters.


Today, the power is back on and I am able to participate in Charissa's Colourful Smoothie Challenge. I already made my first smoothie of the day and tweeted it to her. It's a Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Tracy Anderson Shake made simply with the Tracy Anderson's Perfect Performance Wellness Shake I purchased from OpenSky, almond milk and frozen strawberries. I sprinkled the top with cacao nibs and garnished it with a fresh strawberry to look pretty. Yum!


Hope everyone is staying cool this weekend. So glad I finally am :-)