Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The shy seahorse


As you know, I've been trying to keep you up to date with my #colourfulsmoothie tweets for Charissa's July Colourful Smoothie Challenge and our day-to-day activities this summer. I think it's been a week since my last post, mainly due to the heat (our internet keeps going out when the temp hits around 100 degrees), so I'll start with the Shy Seahorse I took a pic of hiding behind Charissa's AloeHa Smoothie (just a reminder that you get extra points for making her smoothies; I'm aiming to make them all, even if I need to veganize them). It made perfect sense to use a seahorse in the shot on our last day of Vacation Bible School with the theme "Operation Overboard."


The shy seahorse also reminds me of how Hayden started out very shy in her ballet class and bible school, but has gotten better the more she attends. Here are some pics from Bible School:

Hayden is all smiles :-)

Shaking her poms with the music.

Glitter makes everything more fun.

It's even better when big brother is there, too.

She was a little shy and reserved when she entered
her second dance class last night ...

... but then she came out happy as a clam :-)

And now for the rest of the #colourfulsmoothies, in case you missed them. After the AloeHa Smoothie, I made Charissa's Chocolate Orange Smoothie that I renamed the Chocolate "Orange Moose" Smoothie, due to the orange moose in the shot. So good!

Next, I enjoyed Charissa's Peach Coconut Smoothie with our plush friend Princess Peach. The kids have really been into the old school Mario games lately. This was perfect.

Jacob's first friend, his Blue Beary teddy bear, just had to take a turn modeling with the smoothies, so Charissa's Blueberry Cream Smoothie had his name written all over it (I renamed it the "BlueBeary" Cream Smoothie).

Then, our Wonder Pet Tuck saved the day and Charissa's Superhero Smoothie. No matter how much spirulina we added, it never got the same green color as hers (I think we used less avocado, and our strawberries have been taking over the color of a lot of our smoothies lately), but it still tasted great.

Today, I veganized Charissa's Lemon Meringue Smoothie by using a combination of almond milk, cashew cheese, coconut cream, a whole peeled and seeded lemon, Vanilla Sunwarrior Warrior Blend and half a frozen banana in place of the ice. This tasted like lemon cheesecake. So refreshing, especially on a 100-plus degree day. I hope to make a key lime version in the future. Yum!

What's your favorite smoothie combination?