Thursday, July 2, 2015

Celebrate the 4th w/a Raw Apple Pie Cronut

Happy July and almost Fourth of July! You've gotta celebrate with an all-American dessert like the traditional apple pie or perhaps the more modern cronut (croissant/donut). I have yet to try a cronut (probably due to the ingredients in it), so I decided to combine both the apple pie and the cronut into a Raw Apple Pie Cronut. Here's how I did it:

To start, I took half an apple for a spin in a spiral slicer, which resulted in these thin apple ribbons. You could also just very thinly slice an apple (the key is to get it as thin as possible).

Next, I added a spoonful of Jem Raw Organic Cinnamon Maca Sprouted Almond Butter to a bowl.

Then, I transferred the apple ribbons to the same bowl and flavored/softened them with the almond butter.

On a small plate, I began layering the apple ribbons in a donut shape, sprinkling some almond flour in between the layers. The photo above shows the first layer.

I kept on layering apple ribbons and almond flour, ...

... more apple ribbons and almond flour ...


... and more apple ribbons and almond flour ...


... until I used my last apple layer. There's no need to add more almond four at this point.


Then, I opted to decorate my Raw Apple Pie Cronut, starting with a frosted layer of more Jem almond butter. It doesn't look that pretty at this stage, because I used what was left at the bottom of the apple bowl.


The almond butter frosting basically acted as the glue for the sprinkles. Since the red apple ribbon edges reminded me of the red stripes on the American flag, I opted to go for a blue and white theme on top, using coconut flakes and crushed freeze-dried blueberries.


It almost looked too beautiful to eat, so I had it pose for a couple pics before allowing it to set in the freezer for a few hours.


Once chilled and set, the Raw Apple Pie Cronut was able to be handled like a baked/fried cronut. It could be picked up and eaten.


Just look at those yummy layers inside. So good!

Have you tried a cronut or made a raw vegan version? Let me know if you have and if you try my version on Twitter at @Rawdorable or Instagram (also @Rawdorable).

Enjoy your holiday! :)