Thursday, April 28, 2016

I need my Vitamin Sea & more from OSEA

If you saw my Instagram yesterday, you're probably wondering what's been delaying this post. I mentioned how gloomy it's been and my need for vitamin "sea," specifically this OSEA Vitamin Sea Serum. I also said that I hoped to blog about it and these other OSEA gems last night or earlier today. Instead, I spent that time waiting to get my cable and Internet back after someone cut our line (it's a long story).


Now, back to these amazing products, which could not have come at a better time. I'm a firm believer in switching up your skincare routine based on the current condition of your skin and the weather. It's getting warmer and more humid around here, so my skin is especially loving this sea-inspired skincare line. 


I just adore the background story of this brand, which is posted on the website (I snagged these family photos and summarized it for you; above is great-grandma Elsa). It's "the story of four generations of women who fell in love with the sea, as told by the youngest generation, Melissa Palmer." Her great-grandmother, Elsa Reuschle, was one of the very first female chiropractors. Over 90 years ago, Elsa had a bad accident that ripped several tendons in her leg. One night, she dreamed that the ocean would heal her, so when she awoke, she demanded that her husband bring her down to the beach on that cold December day to swim. Her daily swims helped to heal her leg.

Elsa passed down her knowledge and faith in natural healing to Melissa's mother, Jenefer, insisting that she (Jenefer) had "healing hands" (above is a photo of Jenefer with Melissa, as a small child, from the OSEA website). In her early 20s, Jenefer sought her own natural healing practice and began her studies in the healing arts. She later became the spa director of the renowned Murrieta Hot Springs and began searching for a natural skin care line. Unsatisfied with the options available at that time, she opted to develop her own skincare line. "She knew she wanted an ingredient-conscious skincare line and she could only think of one place to begin: it was time to return to the sea."

Jenefer and her family moved to Malibu, California to start developing the foundation of her skincare line, which combines ingredients from the sea with essential oil blends. She spent the next 12 years refining her formulas in their kitchen and testing them out on friends, family and even total strangers.

As the popularity of her creations grew, so did the family-run company. Melissa, her brother David, stepsister Mary and stepdad Steve are all involved, adhering entirely to Jenefer's vision: "to produce products that support skin's natural health and beauty, and are designed with ingredient-conscious skincare consumers in mind."

Being an ingredient-conscious skincare consumer, I couldn't wait to try this line for myself, starting with this OSEA Ocean Cleanser. It's for normal, dry, combo skin, so basically, if you have skin, this cleanser has you covered. This organic cleanser "is rich in minerals, algae, dermal proteins, vitamins and mineral salts" and smells like some kind of sweet candy from my childhood (very nostalgic). It's pH balanced and gentle enough to remove dirt and makeup without irritation. It's somehow light and creamy at the same time, like various other algae-containing skincare products I've tried. It leaves my skin feeling soft and refreshed. It almost has a cooling effect. Something tells me this cleanser is especially nice for cleansing sunburned skin, although I hope I don't have to experience that.

Next up is that OSEA Vitamin Sea Serum I teased on Instagram. According to the website, this "potent serum contains an anti-aging blend of seven organic seaweed extracts in a hydrating hyaluronic acid base. Packed with powerful antioxidants, including ferulic acid, turmeric, and walnut seed and green tea extracts, this serum will plump up moisture-depleted skin and restore a youthful glow."

No lie, this serum does what it claims. It plumps up my skin to hide fine lines and gives it a youthful glow. It's not overly oily; it's very light and absorbs really well. It also has that cooling effect I mentioned with the cleanser. Oh, and don't be concerned about the turmeric, as it doesn't seem to stain. I seriously need more of this when it runs out (these photos were taken weeks ago, so it's now half empty).

As for moisturizer, I've been using the OSEA Atmosphere Protection Cream. It's for normal, dry, combo and sensitive skin, so again, this one's got you covered. It's "a lightweight moisturizer that protects skin from dehydration and damage from environmental aggressors. The super emollient algae base ensures instantaneous absorption while the advanced blend of dermal proteins increases elasticity and leaves a matte, silky finish. An amazing, invisible base for makeup application."

This moisturizer is light, yet gets the job done. Again, I think this is perfect for sun-parched skin (it also has that cooling effect), as my skin wanted to drink it all up. It keeps my skin soft and balanced all day long. I have to agree with the makeup application; it acts like a primer, keeping my makeup smooth and in place. I also had success using it under my eyes like an eye cream to reduce puffiness without irritation.


Obviously, I'm over the moon (or in this case, the sea) with these products. I'm pretty sure I know what line of skincare will be going on vacation with me this summer (OSEA, of course).

Do you change your skincare with the seasons? What products do you use during the summer? Let me know on Twitter at @Rawdorable and/or Instagram (also @Rawdorable).

* OSEA sent me these products for review. All opinions are my own :)