Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It's peanut butter jelly time!


I know that craze is over, but that song still makes me happy. I love seeing my son dance around the house to that silly tune.

He also has been singing the old "Peanut, Peanut Butter ... and Jelly" song from my childhood. You know you remember it, too.

Peanut, peanut butter
... and jelly

Peanut, peanut butter
... and jelly


First you take the peanuts and you crunch 'em, crunch 'em

Peanut, peanut butter
... and jelly

Peanut, peanut butter
... and jelly


Then you take the grapes and you squish 'em, squish 'em

Peanut, peanut butter ... and jelly
Peanut, peanut butter ... and jelly

Then you take the bread and you spread it, spread it

Peanut, peanut butter ... and jelly
Peanut, peanut butter ... and jelly

Then you take the sandwich and you eat it, eat it

Peanut, peanut butter ... and jelly
Peanut, peanut butter ... and jelly

But enough about singing, why am I suddenly posting about this lunchbox treat? Well, it's because it inspired me to make something even sweeter with the concord grapes I purchased from the farmers market last week.

So, what did I make? Did I "rawify" peanut butter muffins with jelly filling and iced with more peanutty goodness? Did I make peanut butter n'ice cream with a grape jelly swirl? Those all sound good (maybe I'll make them in the near future), but if you paid any attention to the photos in this post, you already know that I opted for a "peanut" butter and concord jelly tart. Mmmm :-)

It made perfect sense; when I think of concord grapes, the classic pb & j comes to mind, as well as concord grape pie (yup, there is such a thing). I combined both on a smaller scale and ended up with two yummy tarts (I guess this means I have to share).

Now since I have yet to try raw peanuts (I've heard mixed reviews; kind of reminds me of the durian reactions), I used my better than raw peanut butter components from my Rawgalong recipe to construct the crust and bottom filling layer of the tarts. I just cut the cookie and filling recipes in half (oh yeah, and I also eliminated the cashews from the crust, adjusting the almond to sesame ratio to compensate).

For the jelly, I removed the seeds from about 1 1/2 cups of fresh concord grapes, yielding about a cup of seeded grapes. After blending them in my Blendtec with a touch of agave and a sprinkling of sea salt, I ended up with about 3/4 cups of grape puree, to which I added 2 Tbsp. of chia seeds (stir to combine).

After allowing the jelly to gel for about 15 minutes, I divided the mixture equally atop both tarts and chilled them in the fridge to set. I left mine in there for about an hour before diving into the first one. Oh yeah, it's gone. Do I still need to share the second one?