Tuesday, May 12, 2009

In all honesty


I have to confess that I haven't stayed raw this pregnancy, as I once thought I would. I had always hoped to attempt a raw pregnancy for baby No. 2, but unfortunately, my body has had ideas of its own.

Following my usual advice to eat according to what my body tells me, I strayed away from raw for the beginning of this journey. Lucky for me, I'm happy to report that I'm gradually finding my way back again. It seems that as my pregnancy progresses and the weather gets warmer, my cravings are returning for fresh raw fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, etc.

What has changed is that I no longer desire to use these ingredients to create decadent raw desserts (okay, so maybe I have indulged once or twice). Instead, I prefer to eat them simply in their natural state (for example, I've been snacking on handfuls of raw nuts, rather than using them in my usual cupcake and other sweet recipes), tossed in a salad, blended into a smoothie or layered on a sandwich.

I guess this is a transitional period, giving me hope that I'll go back to my raw ways after Hayden is born.

Speaking of sandwiches and transition, I found Ezekiel bread to be a great transitional food the first time I went raw, so of course, I opted to add it to my diet now. I've been making raw almond butter/strawberry/banana sandwiches out of it, as well as some other varieties.

For instance, the warmer months always make me think of the tomato sandwiches and BLTs (bacon, lettuce and tomato, for those of you who don't know) my family used to make while I was growing up. Being that today is so nice outside, I opted to recreate a memory with this ALT (avocado, lettuce and tomato) on none other than Ezekiel bread.

You can make one, too, with lettuce wraps, portabello mushroom caps (been there, done that) or the raw bread of your choice. Just don't forget the cashew-based mayo; you can make it taste more authentic with the addition of some liquid smoke (although I didn't, since I wasn't sure if it was safe to use while pregnant). Enjoy :-)