Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The social scene


Since becoming pregnant again, I've kind of withdrawn from the raw social scene. I started to wonder if I'd ever make it to any raw events ever again.

Luckily, my good buddy Rawbin invited me to a raw food potluck over the weekend, where I got a chance to hang out with other like-minded individuals and visit with some raw friends.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay long, but for good reason. I had to make sure I left on time to make it to my baby shower. That's right; the big day is quickly approaching.

I had only planned on dropping by for about an hour, so I didn't bring anything with me. To my surprise, I ended up sticking around for nearly three times that (don't worry; I was only about 15 minutes late to my sioree).

During that time, I did start to get a bit hungry. I mean, hey, a pregnant girl has got to eat, right?

But, it didn't feel right to go through the line when I had not properly contributed to the bounty. So, I opted to instead take some photos to visually remember the event.

Lucky for me, there were a few individuals who weren't about to let me refuse a bite or two of their creations. For instance, I had to try the cabbage salad Rawbin's sister made with fresh cabbage from her garden (you can't beat the homegrown stuff, like Jacob's green beans). I also couldn't pass up a small serving of the kale salad (my biggest pregnancy craving), as well as a taste of the raw sweet potato salad everyone was raving about.

And, don't forget about dessert. There is no excuse good enough to pass up a slice of one of Jeff's (a.k.a. Chef Bliss) pies. This one was strawberry, which reminded me of Hayden (the little girl in my belly, just waiting to come out). It must have been the pretty pink color.

I also made sure to save room for a slice of Arianna's "piano pie," recognizable by the treble clef on top. I was flattered to find out that she has been inspired by my dessert recipes, and I was even more impressed by hers. I'm so glad I got the last slice, even if I had to share it.

Now, as much as I'd love to fill you in more on the event, I decided to give you a photo summary instead. I've been busy writing thank you cards to all the guests at my shower, so now my brain is a little fried. At least I'm happy to report that they're all done. I just need to address/mail or hand deliver them.

So, here are some pics from the potluck. Enjoy!

It is tradition for Rawbin and I to get a pic together, as well as with Jeff from NaturalZing. Remember this one and that one?




Here are some shots of the yummy spread and those enjoying it:








Here's what I ate:




Now that's a happy ending :-)

By the way, it's my wedding anniversary today. I'm celebrating 8 years of wedded bliss. Happy anniversary, sweetie!