Thursday, August 20, 2009

An interesting combination

Just knowing that my baby girl could be making her grand exit soon has made it extremely difficult to sleep lately. Sometimes I'm up all night with false labor symptoms, while other times I'm just wide awake thinking about when the real thing might happen.

I often give up on the sleeping thing early, rarely staying in bed as long as I've planned. I end up heading downstairs to the couch, remote in hand, searching for something else to occupy my thoughts.

The other day, I caught an episode of Everyday Food with breakfast as the topic. Most of the recipes weren't something I'd eat for the first meal of my day, but I was interested in a particular smoothie combination.

Served alongside the featured Ginger Carrot Bread was a Mango-Carrot Smoothie. I can't believe I've never thought about making one myself.

The smoothie consisted of mango, carrot juice, yogurt (substitute raw nut- or coconut-based yogurt, coconut milk or banana to keep it raw; I highly recommend coconut milk), lime juice, honey (use agave to make it vegan) and ice. It was so easy that I had to whip one up today and share it with you. It was worth waking up for :-)