Friday, August 7, 2009

Mmm ... blackberries :-)


I am so lucky to have an ample supply of fresh blackberries coming my way. My mom has been picking them at a family friend's house, and then generously sending a good share my way.

Hayden seems to enjoy them a lot, like when I scattered a few through the strawberry spinach salad I posted about recently. She even sparked a craving for them yesterday morning, sprinkled in my raw pudding.

Another way she likes them is as the star ingredient in my Chiaberry Breeze, which you may remember from last summer. If not, here it is again:

Chiaberry Breeze
About 1 cup blackberries, centers removed
1-2 Tbsp. chia seeds
drizzle of agave nectar
touch of vanilla
dash of sea salt
1-2 Tbsp. water, as needed

Place the separated blackberries in a small glass. Using a spoon, muddle the berries to remove some of the juice, while still leaving many of the berries intact.

Add the chia seeds, agave, vanilla and sea salt. Stir to combine. This mixture should still be a little runny, so add a some more water, if needed.

Refrigerate for about an hour, so it can gel. Garnish with a few whole berries. And, as usual, enjoy!

Hayden also seems to have a thing for chia seeds. I hope this doesn't mean she'll look like a Chia Pet when she comes out. If she is anything like Jacob or myself, she'll have a full head of hair. Let's just hope her head isn't covered in sprouts.