Thursday, January 28, 2010

Don't forget about my cupcake


Not this raw cupcake treat; I'm talking about my baby girl, who I sometimes refer to as my little cupcake (she's grown a bit since this photo was taken. I also call her my dumpling, sweet potato, etc.; it's a foodie thing).

As you know, she is in the running for this week's Cute Kid, so if you haven't had a chance to vote for her, please click on this link to show your support. Thanks in advance and to all who already voted :-)

The other cupcake is one I made a couple weeks ago, after seeing a baked gluten-free vegan one in my latest issue of VegNews (my subscription had run out, so my mom was kind enough to pick one up for me during our Whole Foods trip). It's a Pink Champagne Cupcake, perfect for the upcoming Valentine's holiday (or any day you're in the mood for a fabulous pink cupcake).

I'd post the recipe for my raw version, if I had taken measurements and written down exactly what I did. Since this wasn't the case, I'll just give you a brief explanation as to how I "rawified" (my word for transforming a cooked food into a raw version) it.

I used one of my basic raw cupcake recipes, this one being the Rawified & Sexy Lower-Fat Cupcake, except I went heavier on the cashews versus the oats ratio (this one was not as low in fat). In place of the date paste, I made a "bubbly" gel out of soaked dried strawberries, beets, red wine vinegar and chia seeds. This mixture was also used to top the cupcake and glue on the garnish.

I opted to decorate the finished cupcake with a sliced strawberry and some tiny grapes (I figured they'd look like bubbles and tied in with the fact that champagne is made out of grapes). They are coated in finely ground coconut flakes, similar to sugar-coated fruits. I think it ended up looking a little like snow, don't you?

Speaking of snow, I wonder if we'll be getting what is forecast for the weekend. My hubby and I got a kick out of the weather man, who said, we might not get it, or just south of the viewing area. But, if it goes this way, it might end up to the northwest. I don't think he knew what he was talking about :-)