Saturday, May 28, 2011

Seaside surprises

Keeping with the whole spontaneity thing, Hayden and I just got back from an overnight trip to the beach with my parents. My dad was playing in a golf tournament, which my mom opted to tag along for some fun in the sun. A couple days prior to their departure, they invited us girls to keep my mom company (Matthew had to work, and Jacob had school).

Usually, I'd be pretty good about documenting my meals in pics, but I was having so much fun that I nearly forgot about any food photography. At least, Hayden gave me this cute pose to share. Yes, she is eating cucumbers and seaweed snacks on the beach (I had no idea she'd enjoy the seaweed so much). It just seemed appropriate for the location.

It was nice to have some girl time with my mom again (although we did just go shopping with her on Tuesday, with a yummy lunch at California Pizza Kitchen. The restaurant is very vegan-friendly and willing to make alterations to menu items by request. For example, I got them to make the banana smoothie without the cream; it ended up being bananas blended with ice, but perfect for Hayden and me).

Yesterday, we had brunch at a bright pink restaurant with strawberries painted all over the place. My mom, Hayden and I loved the fresh squeezed (not pasteurized) grapefruit and orange juices, along with bowls of fresh fruit. I even got them to serve me a bowl of spinach that is usually reserved for the omelets on the menu.

I made sure to bring fresh produce in a cooler for the beach, along with some other snacks. I wish I had taken a pic of the papaya, avocado and lime salad I made on the beach, inspired by Kimberly Snyder's salad on her site. Mine had papaya (I had just picked up an organic one from Trader Joe's. Yum!), avocado, a bunch of fresh mint leaves, large coconut flakes (If you purchase from Natural Zing, you can get $6.99 flat rate shipping, within the continental United States, for the Memorial Day weekend) and generous squeezes of lime juice.

Mmmm ... that's making me hungry. I think I'll go make lunch now ...