Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mother & Daughter Day Projects

My last post was an Eco Emi unboxing, so it's no surprise that today is my usual follow-up DIY post (here's my last Eco Emi DIY post with links to the others, as well). I had planned on making it a Mother's Day gift-themed project, but based on the color scheme and sparkling gold paper confetti shreds, I knew I had to include Hayden in this one. It just had her written all over it.

Hayden obviously thought the same thing as she climbed onto the table and dug into our materials from this month's box. Look at her ready to make a masterpiece of her own. She's such a good little helper, who loves to craft like her mama.

Here's what we had to work with this time: those pale yellow and sparkling gold paper confetti shreds I already mentioned, a pastel pink silky fabric pouch, light green tissue paper and a gift box tied shut with a piece of elastic string.

Hayden couldn't wait to do something with those sparkling gold paper confetti shreds, so we started with a DIY for her. All we needed were the shreds and the piece of elastic string.

We tied the elastic string to create a hair tie. Then, we cut off the excess, saving the rest of the elastic string for future projects (maybe a beaded charm bracelet for Hayden).

Next, we gathered groups of three shreds (two pale yellow and one gold per group of three).

We folded the first group of three paper confetti shreds in half and looped it onto the hair tie.

We continued to attach more groups of three shreds until about half of the hair tie was covered (okay, so maybe I did the attaching, but Hayden helped count out the groups of three shreds). We didn't cover the whole hair tie, because the other half would be used to wrap around Hayden's ponytail a second time when worn, as you'll see at the end of this post.

Once Hayden was happy with her project, we moved on to something you can make for mom. Hayden keeps reminding me how the April showers bring the May flowers, so we decided to make a flower, using the pastel pink fabric pouch. We started by removing the ribbons, which we saved for another project.

Next, I deconstructed the fabric pouch. Don't worry about all the fraying, as you'll hide it while creating your flower.

I folded the fabric lengthwise in thirds to help hide the fraying and to make it the perfect size for forming a flower. I opted to use some gold duck tape (I always have decorative duck tape on hand) to attach it to a pencil "stem" (I used a pencil that was missing an eraser, since it would be hidden anyway).

This is when it gets a little difficult to follow and explain. I just kept folding, taping and shaping the fabric until I created a flower. Here are some step-by-step pics to give you a better idea of what I did:






Once the fabric flower was finished, I decided to add some tissue paper leaves. I folded a square of light green tissue paper in half diagonally to make a triangle. I, then, formed the triangle into three leaves and attached them to the base of the flower with more duck tape.

I also added some sparkling gold confetti shreds to the base of the flower for fun. Hayden thought it looked pretty. Here she is holding the finished flower, while wearing the hair tie, too.

Ha ha. She even pretended to smell it :-)

As for the gift box, I still plan on using it for Mother's Day and I encourage you to do the same. Handmade gifts make the best Mother's Day presents, in my opinion. For example, my mom tends to hint for handmade jewelry, so of course, I have a piece in the works for her right now to give to her in the box (hopefully she's not reading this). I used gold wire to spell out "Nana" (that's what the kids call her). I would do the same thing with paper clips to create personalized jewelry in my youth, but I thought this was nicer. I just need to decide if it's going to be a necklace or a bracelet, and if I want to use the links from this past project or the pink ribbon from today's DIY. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions left in the comment section. Have a wonderful weekend!