Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Happy birthday to my better half

No, I'm not talking about Hayden, although we do make a good pair. I'm referring to my husband Matthew, whose birthday is today. As he'd prefer to spend time with me, rather than me taking a while to post a lengthy post in is honor, I'm going to make this short and sweet.

My hubby and I have a lot in common, as well as our differences. Thank goodness opposites attract like in this "unbaked" version of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked ice cream. Although Matthew and I went to an actual Ben & Jerry's as one of our first dates, he is the only one of the two of us who still consumes the real deal. Therefore, I picked up some Chocolate Fudge Brownie for him and Jacob, and quickly whipped together a banana n'ice cream in this "indecisive flavor" (I can never make up my mind) for both Hayden and myself.

It's not my birthday, so I wasn't about to dedicate a ton of time to my dessert. I simply whipped up the usual banana n'ice cream base (frozen banana chunks, whipped into a creamy frozen dessert in a food processor, of course), removed half and mixed in some chunks of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Larabar. Then, I added cocoa powder to the rest of the plain banana n'ice cream, gave it another spin in my old school food processor and stirred in some broken up Black Swan Chocolate Berry Barre "brownie bites." Both flavors were served up as shown. Yummy!

Those Black Swan Barres are a fave of my tiny ballerina, who had her first recital last weekend (it was a hectic week, including a tech rehearsal, dress rehearsal and two recitals). We are so proud of our little performer. She did all the steps, despite the fact that the girl next to her ran off the stage. She's even asking to perform again soon.

Here are some photos from after the show:

Hayden was all smiles with her daddy, a.k.a. the birthday boy (recognize the pink roses from the photo at the beginning of this post? Oh, and the pink happy birthday candle was actually from Hayden's first b-day).

Obviously, I'm proud of my girl (I think I cried off all of my eye makeup) ...

... and she was proud of her Aunt April, who taught some of the other classes there. It was her last year teaching for now, as she wants to focus more of her time on performing in a dance company.

Anyway, my hubby is requesting some more of my time right now. TTFN!