Friday, March 27, 2015

Springtime No-Bake Macaroons

My kids will be on Spring break all next week, so I wanted to post these macaroons asap. They are a sweet treat for Spring and fun to bring to an Easter gathering.

Since this blog started as a raw food blog, I feel the need to post these types of recipes from time-to-time, although I don't always eat that way. This may explain why I don't post them as often. However, when I want something sweet, I sometimes go to my kitchen to "unbake."

As the temps have started to warm and the sun is shining longer each day, I was inspired to make these no-bake macaroons in a trio of flavors, using Philosophie products. Honestly, I've been posting so many recipes with these products, because I like them (if I'm using them all the time at home, of course they'll be mentioned a lot on the blog). The Philosophie Vegan Protein & Superfood Powders, honey (my 5-year-old daughter says, "it's the goodest honey she's ever tasted") and coconut butter are some of my favorite ingredients.

As you can see, I made Cacao Magic Macaroons, Berry Bliss Macaroons and Green Dream Macaroons, forming them into a colorful sandwich style. Here's how you make the Cacao Magic Macaroons:

Start by adding 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes, 1/4 cup almond flour, 3 Tbsp. Philosophie Cacao Magic Vegan Protein & Superfood Powder, 2 Tbsp. Cacao Magic Coconut Butter, 2 Tbsp. Cacao Bee Honey (the finished macaroons are intensely sweet, so feel free to replace 1 Tbsp. of the honey with almond or cashew butter), 1/2 tsp. vanilla and a pinch of salt to a mini food processor, and process it into a sticky crumb.

Remove the macaroon "dough" from the food processor and place it on some parchment or a ceramic plate. Using the heat of your hands, form the dough into four equal sections, and shape them to look like traditional macaroons. Slice each of your macaroons in half, like a sandwich and place them in the refrigerator, while you prep the filling (and the other two flavors, if you decide to make them).

For the filling, simply soften more of the Cacao Magic Coconut Butter by stirring it and/or warming it slightly. If you are in a colder climate, you can add some coconut oil to make the coconut butter more spreadable. Once you are happy with the consistency, fill your macaroons. If you opt to make all three macaroon flavors, you'll have a perfect dozen.

To make the Berry Bliss flavor, simply swap the Cacao Magic Coconut Butter and Cacao Bee Honey for Berry Bliss Coconut Butter and Berry Bee Honey. You'll also need to replace the Cacao Magic powder with 2 Tbsp. of Berry Bliss powder and 1 Tbsp. of finely ground freeze-dried strawberries.

To make the Green Dream Macaroons, swap the coconut butter and honey with the Green Dream versions, and replace the Cacao Magic powder with 2 Tbsp. Green Dream powder and 1 Tbsp. finely ground freeze-dried pineapple.

If you don't have these particular coconut butters and honey, this recipe should work with whatever coconut butter and honey you have in your kitchen. Let me know on Twitter if you make them (I'm @Rawdorable) and if you made any substitutions.