Monday, April 4, 2016

Minimalist Ninalu designs get noticed

One of my favorite things about being on Instagram is discovering new fashion, natural beauty products and accessories. I especially love finding items that are handmade by an individual or small business.


Recently, I discovered a beautiful jewelry designer by the name of Luka Alagiyawanna (the above photo is from her website). She founded her minimalist jewelry label, Ninalu, a couple years ago in Berlin (I don't live anywhere near there; that's how amazing Instagram is when it comes to connecting small companies with customers all over the world). "Every piece [of Ninalu jewelry] is designed and handmade by her and inspired by minimalistic Berlin aesthetics and Sri Lakan nature. She creates pieces out of sterling silver, brass and copper tubes in combination with natural materials like wood, shells, coral, seeds and stones, which she collects in nature," as stated on her website.

I was lucky enough to connect with Luka, who offered to send me one of her simple and sophisticated pieces. She even let me pick what I'd like to wear, and sent it to me in this sweet little package, sealed with a sprig of dried flowers (gotta love the attention to detail).


Inside, I found this sleek and elegant Bent Copper Tube Necklace I'd been eyeing. The focal point is the copper tube, which is delicately strung on a waxed cotton cord (mine is black, but it also comes in raspberry and olive). There are rose gold-plated silver end beads that make the necklace easy to adjust to your desired length.

I couldn't wait to wear it, so I put it on right away. I wore it short for the photo, so you could see the pretty little adjuster beads. I've also worn it longer, much like my usual arrowstack necklace, seen in many of my Instagram posts. I've had so many compliments on this necklace that I couldn't wait to tell all of you about it.

If this necklace got your attention, you should check out the other jewelry on the site, such as the necklaces seen above (the above and following photos are from the website). Even this unique Chrystal Wood Hanger is sold on the site for displaying your collection.

The Ninalu collection also includes bracelets. They are perfect for stacking, without adding too much bulk to your wrists.

One of the main themes in the collection are the tubes seen in many of the necklaces and bracelets. This Brass Pyramid Necklace reminds me of the kites I made in my science class years ago (we made this shape out of straws and string, and then covered two sides with paper). It's a classic design that never gets old and has meaning to me.


It's also one of the Himmeli designs on the site. They are geometric planters/modern brass object sculptures. This Copper Pyramid Himmeli is the simplest design available.


However, they can be as complex as this Copper Diamond Himmeli ...


... or as lovely and eye-catching as this Brass Rose Quartz Himmeli.

Now you've probably figured out how these minimalist items got my attention. What items interest you? Let me know on Twitter at @Rawdorable and/or Instagram (also @Rawdorable).


* Ninalu sent me the necklace for review. All opinions are my own.