Sunday, June 14, 2009

Berry cuke


One of my favorite things to make with summer produce from my local farmers market is a simple cucumber and tomato salad. I've been looking forward to these since the end of the season last year.

Can you imagine my excitement when I found farm fresh cukes at the market Friday night? And, although there weren't any tomatoes for sale yet, I was able to pick up some yummy strawberries as a sweet substitute.

(Strawberries are an excellent source of folic acid, which is important for pregnant women and those who are planning a pregnancy. This may explain my strong cravings for them.)

Have you tried this delicious combination? In-season local cucumbers and strawberries tossed in just a splash or so of balsamic vinegar. When the ingredients are this fresh, you don't need anything else (although basil is a tasty addition).

Unfortunately, I won't be treating myself to this combo for long, as I was informed these would be the last of the strawberries at the market this year. I guess I just have to enjoy them while they last.