Sunday, August 9, 2009

Girls can wear blue, too


I don't know who came up with the idea that baby girls should wear pink and little boys should stick to blue, but I feel the need to break that rule.

Actually, contrary to modern belief, pink was once considered a masculine color, while blue was its feminine counterpart. It wasn't until recently that the roles were reversed.

So, although I'm having a girl this time (or at least I think I am; I hear those sonograms aren't always 100 percent accurate), I have opted not to overdue the pink theme. I've made sure she has a variety of colors in her wardrobe, and upon hearing my idea, my brother-in-law's wife gave Hayden a black onesie that reads, "I can't wear pink everyday."

I'm the same way; pink may be my favorite color, but I can't see myself dressing from head to toe in it all the time either. I even mix and match my accessory hues.

For instance, I'm back on a creative kick, moving on from onesies to jewelry (Don't worry HiHoRosie; I still plan of making one for Caleb when I get a chance). My mom inspired me again by requesting a custom-made necklace and earrings set for her birthday this year (I did something similar last year, and I wanted to get a jump start this time before the baby arrives).

While I was at it, I decided to make a mommy necklace for yours truly, in celebration of becoming a mom of two. Those who don't know the sex of my unborn child may mistake the blue accents as a sign that I'm expecting another boy, but I think it is still quite feminine. Besides, I look better in blue anyway.

I also took the opportunity to make some matching earrings. I just had to have a set. Maybe I'll give them to Hayden one day (when she's all grown up and having her own kids, of course) and tell her the story behind it. I'm sure she'll look beautiful in them :-)